Advice needed re seasoning/cutting up logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just managed to pick up two fairly large Walnut logs at an amazingly low £2. They have been seasoned for about a year apparently and I am wondering what is the best thing to do with them now as regards further seasoning or cutting them into useable blanks.

Any suggestions would be welcome. One log is about 5' long and 13" diameter one end 10" narrow end. The other is 44" long and about 13-15" diameter but has the root section on the end which is nearly 24" at its widest

Attachments

• logs a.jpg
    logs a.jpg
    173.3 KB
  • logsb.jpg
    logsb.jpg
    176 KB
  • logsc.jpg
    logsc.jpg
    184.3 KB
  • logsd.jpg
    logsd.jpg
    163.9 KB
I leave my logs as big as possible ideally in a cool dry place. Cutting just before turning.
I don't bother with end grain sealing - my latest logs are stored vertically on a concrete floor and I placed a cardboard box over the top in an attempt to slow the drying down, but let airflow around.
If these are 12 months old keeping them big seems to be working for them.

Brian

Thanks for the advice. I will put them in the shed standing on end. I think I have some cardboard boxes that will fit over the ends.

I don't intend to use them for a while yet as I am still a novice and want to hone my skills on something less valuable first.

Very helpful video. thanks. I did note that he included the heartwood in the bowl. Is it not better to remove the center of the log from the blank to avoid distortion as it dries.?

Very helpful video.

Sorry I made a rookie mistake. when i said heartwood i meant the pith.

Noggsy":1lla0npa said:
If you want, I could look after those logs for you? :lol:

The support and consideration on this forum never ceases to amaze me
AND he will even come down and collect them.

And by the time Noggsy gets back I'll be standing by with a chain saw - I'm only a bus ride away and I have my free bus pass.

Brian

Whilst on the subject of seasoning logs, would knotting be a suitable thing to use on the end grain when sealing it for drying?

Any thing will do really as long as it stops the ends drying faster than the rest. Old gloss paint, varnish, PVA, plastic bag secured with tape......

That's good to know. Now I have a use for the 2 gallons of knotting I was given years ago.

Once again fortune has smiled on me and i have been given a lot of hardwood logs. These have only been cut down in the last week or two and are Eucalyptus, silver Birch and a fruit wood which I cannot remember the name of at the moment. The last one has very deep honey yellow wood and the heartwood tends to be pinkish. the leaves from the tree look very like cherry leaves but smaller and have turned very dark red on the branches left on one log. The logs seem to be cracking a lot and the pith is shrinking on those that have been exposed to sun.

I have painted the end grain of all the logs with knotting solution to seal them.

Am I better off cutting them into blanks and wet turning as much as possible or should I let them season before cutting them.

I will post some pics when I have played with them to lower the image sizes.

Latest posts

Back