Adirondack chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Sneak preview of my current side line to keep me busy between jobs, never really liked the style of of Adirondack chairs, but this one is a little more subtle, drawn up in Sketchup:

Adirondack chair.jpg

Next job draw out the templates for the shapes, (again all done in Sketchup) I then printed them out and traced them onto some 12mm MDF versions, that I can use to bandsaw out and then finish shape the stock on SM with a ring fence, didn't take any piccy's of that part.

adirindack full size cut plans.jpg

And being fortunate to have a residual stock of Oak, got stuck in, nothing difficult in the way of joinery as its all screwed/bolted together:

chair A1.jpg chair A2.jpg

Still got a couple of bits to make, but the bones of it are there, don't hold your breath on this, going on the back burner for a few weeks.

So what changes make it a bit more subtle? Not easy changing a chair, are you sure it will still feel/sit the same and still be safe? Best of luck though, I liked to have a fallback piece to make between commissions.
Ian

Like many things I feel what made mine better(imho) were tapered back slats which were also spaced and rounded accurately(completed off the chair) this was involved for one but once it was jigged simple enough for loads of chairs. I also like using small tory head decking screws as they were much more subtle. Also painting took them to another level(imho). I knew I had a decent product by the way people fawned over them(usually they were...unmoved). I also made a matching table.

Attachments

• 20210703_161906.jpg
    20210703_161906.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210725_092439.jpg
    20210725_092439.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
@Cabinetman , when I say subtle that translates into simple and less complicated, for me, no idea how it will feel to sit in, not made it yet, might be awful.

Looks like a snap there @kinverkid mine is based on one I had seen that Norm Abram had made 20 odd years ago, so a bit/lot of plagiarism going on...

They are really smart @johnnyb I'm not into painting though, so would have make mine out of a wood that can be left natural, did you have success in selling them?

Not sure I'll compete on price with the ones being sold by B&Q though Chair

There is another dynamic in what I am trying to do here, along with other things, which I wasn't going give the game up on, however, I support a local men's shed, and look at things that they can take on and make with their limited resources and skills, so simple works, if this does the job, I will be there to to help them set things up to make them, mind, they won't be using Oak.

Looks like a snap there @kinverkid mine is based on one I had seen that Norm Abram had made 20 odd years ago, so a bit/lot of plagiarism going on...
Mine is the Norm version chair but the footrest was an inspiration from a photo and the table was just an idea that came to me when I was looking at the off-cuts.

Reassuring to know, I'll try and get it finished in the next couple of weeks, in the hope that it meets with the approval of the chair comfort tester!

I did sell a lot in redwood and sapele. Maybe 50 but the paint was really effective and the pine ones are still great after many years. The problem wasn't making or selling but shipping. Those blue ones were a set sold to someone in Hampshire and I ended up taking them myself. There was £700 worth of inch sapele and £100 of paint in those. The secret was to spray them twice before assembly the once when assembled to colour the fittings.

Quick update on this one, all screwed up now, not finished though, will need to plug screw holes and buy some S steel bolts, its
comfortable for me, the other half isn't keen though as the seat is too deep (got short legs!).

Bit of a folly, good learning curve and templates all made for future use, and benefit for others.

Adrion1.jpg Adrion2.jpg

Latest posts

Back