A recommendation for conspiracists/people who understand things the rest of us don't

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it rather depressing that many use the argument that they are not as bad as the last lot.
Not a very high bar.
And is that really all we should aspire to?
It is almost as though we have become so used to it that we are prepared to accept s**t politicians, just so long as they are a bit less s**t than their predecessors.
We ought to be able to do better.
I think they are worse than the last lot in that they are going to pursue the same policies but more efficiently and more dishonestly.
At least you knew where you were with the tories; up **** creek without paddle.

Last edited:
I find it rather depressing that many use the argument that they are not as bad as the last lot.
Not a very high bar.
And is that really all we should aspire to?
It is almost as though we have become so used to it that we are prepared to accept s**t politicians, just so long as they are a bit less s**t than their predecessors.
We ought to be able to do better.
I think Starmer agrees, clearly sees the problem and the position he put himself in and is looking to address it:

“We are now going to bring forward principles for donations, because, until now, politicians have used their best individual judgment on a case-by-case basis. I think we need some principles of general application.

“So, I took the position that until the principles are in place it was right for me to make those repayments.”

On Wednesday, a Downing Street spokesperson said: “The Prime Minister has commissioned a new set of principles on gifts and hospitality to be published as part of the updated ministerial code.

“Ahead of the publication of the new code, the Prime Minister has paid for several entries on his own register. This will appear in the next register of members’ interests.”
https://www.itv.com/news/2024-10-02...e-than-6000-worth-of-gifts-amid-donations-row

Clearly, it's not good to receive gifts that could raise questions as to whether they have strings attached, and Labour should have stopped it as they came into power.

Labour should have stopped it as they came into power? Labour should have stopped it in the years they were criticising others.
“We are now going to bring forward principles ... " implies he knows they had none.

“We are now going to bring forward principles for donations, because, until now, politicians have used their best individual judgment on a case-by-case basis. I think we need some principles of general application.
He would need guidance on principles as he clearly has non of his own, which should be surprising in a leader of the Labour Party and ex human-rights lawyer.
We are slowly getting used to this and accepting it. Politics and democracy are in a poor way.

He would need guidance on principles as he clearly has non of his own, which should be surprising in a member of the Labour Party and ex human-rights lawyer.
We are slowly getting used to this and accepting it. Politics and democracy are in a poor way.
I'd understand 'principles of general application' to mean written guidance, rather then 'having principles'.

not least because man on the moon is an utterly pointless exercise; an expensive and inefficient way of conducting space research.
Indeed, so I assume we have dropped a much cheaper probe/rover like we did on mars to conduct further investigations of the moons surface that we weren't able to do with 1970's technology.

I've googled but I can't seem to find such a thing...

We need more erudite politicians like Kamala Harris -
“I think it’s very important for us at every moment in time, and certainly this one, to see the moment in time in which we exist and are present, and to be able to contextualise it, to understand where we exist in the history and in the moment as it relates not only to the past but the future.”

I think you could base a sci-fi movie on that quote!

This thread has taken some serious detours! Back to the OP though and I'm surprised no-one has pointed this out... I've read a fair bit of Naomi Klein (who incidentally appears on YouTube frequently); not Doppelganger, but it's on the reading list for some time soon. Much of her other work though covers topics which would in many people's eyes be considered conspiracies. So it seems rather ironic to use her latest book to appeal to conspiracists to rein it in and turn down the "alternative narrative" dial, when other books - The Shock Doctrine in particular - offer many such narratives, mainly focused around the topic of US hegemony and how its power is maintained through exploiting natural disasters, creating disasters where needed, military coups, economic genocide, neo-liberal policy, and so on.

That being said, I do think George Monbiot makes a good point about distinguishing between conspiracy theories and conspiracy fictions. He covers it in a chapter of the recent book "The Invisible Doctrine". But I just googled it too, and I found this interesting article/interview in which George (a conspiracy theorist) meets Jason Liosatos (a conspiracy fantasist). Worth a read. I think there is perhaps a centre point in which the distinction between conspiracy theories and fictions becomes blurred, showing just how subjective it all is. But I think the separation is a good one, even if some people would lump together CIA plots with Micro-chips in vaccines as from the same hymn book.

Perhaps this post is a little off topic by bring the thread back onto topic ;) But would be good to hear your thoughts @Deadeye and anyone else who wants to bring it back to conspiracies

A few other points in response to other posts....

- Echo chambers. Yes, I can see how social media, YT, etc act as echo chambers and perhaps do so in the most sophisticated way by tracking your history, using algorithms, etc. But I don't think we should forget how life itself and many things in it are similarly echo chambers. Our social networks, friendship groups, family, what we choose to watch on TV, books we read or sections of a library we explore at the expense of others (in the past, if not today!), churches, etc etc. We naturally gravitate to the things which re-enforce our beliefs and identities. The priest at a Catholic church will not read from or direct you to passages from the The Vedas, as much as YouTube won't direct you to performance cars if craft making is your thing.

- Religion. On the subject of religion, it always amazes me how it gets a free pass with so many people. There will be many who denounce conspiracies on the lack of empirical evidence, who at the same time believe in God. Does something become non- conspiratorial once enough people subscribe to it, irrespective of a magical, fantastical and non-empirical basis?

- Black and White. Left and Right. There's so much evidence of stereotyping in the thread. No nuance. Everything is black and white and life's not like that and neither is this debate. It's perfectly possible to have doubts about the covid vaccine and not be a climate denier. Just as much as it's possible - as above - to only believe in peer reviewed science, yet also believe in God. There seems little or no allowance for this in the discussion, where so many attempts seem to be made to reduce it to an us and them. I think the whole "woke" thing is similar. Seems that to many you are either "woke" about everything or nothing. It's almost like the format of sport has pervaded everything where you either support one side or other. In reality though, when that player you hate from another team is playing internationally, suddenly the perspective shifts - depending on how well he/she does of course!

- Belief vs Action. One more point and I'll shut up. I find it interesting how belief and action so often don't align. You can have two people arguing passionately about the environment, and yet their actions in terms of carbon footprint, campaign work, etc. are not all too dissimilar. I wonder sometimes why what we believe in and what we do about it are often so far apart. I remember in covid times, when folk were allowed out for a local walk a day, people saying they thought it was a stupid idea, dangerous etc. but then going for said walks as they'd been told they were allowed to. Similarly, a couple of years ago I remember financially comfortable pensioners saying they thought it was stupid that the government was giving them a WFA payment when they didn't need it, but not having the conviction to give it back, donate it, or refuse it. In both cases people needed to be told what to do. How often are we likewise shoehorned into what to think?

Last edited:
Aside from anything else, I always found it fascinating that they were able to broadcast live video and audio from the moon, when - 50+ years on - I still struggle to get a decent picture with a TV aerial and good radio reception where I live. As for mobile, not a chance!

Judging by the very similar verbose posts I wonder if he and Hypnotic Chimera are one and the same. Anyone seen them in the same place at the same time ? :)
Well, that's a Conspiracy Theory i would be happy to buy into. Do we have any evidence, or would that negate the whole premise of conspiracy theories being based, even tenuously, in reality?

Is it just me or do others scroll past if a post continues past the bottom of my laptop screen? 😇

Back