3D and cad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m trying to find out if you need a cad app or not I don’t understand it all or how it works I’ve got no excuses other than I think I’m thick since my 2 strokes. If you do need one is there any that are free and good designed for idiots on woodworking I’ve got a prusa printer. I’m looking for some advice or help
Many thanks everyone
Steve 👨🏼‍🦽👨🏼‍🦽

What do you want to do with it if you get one?

Let me start with what you say about your prusa printer. The "input" to that is a 3D model. There are many places you can download 3D models of almost anything that you can print on your printer.

However, if you cannot find the exact thing you need or the thing you find is not quite right, you either need to model it from scratch or modify an existing design. That would be called 3D CAD or 3D modelling.

If you only want 2D drawings (plans, elevations and dimensions) of something related to woodwork, you may only need a 2D CAD program. A 2D program will be of very limited use with your prusa. 2D CAD is like a computerised old-school drawing board that a draftsperson would have used.

A free 2D CAD is LibreCAD. A low cost 2D CAD is QCAD.

There are various options for 3D modelling programs. Fusion360 is about the best known, followed by Onshape followed by DesignSpark. These are commercial programs that offer a feature-restricted sub-set of their capabilities for free. Fusion and Onshape are quite easy to learn the basics. All three programs are 'in the cloud'.

Another even more free 3D modelling program is FreeCAD. It has a very steep learning curve.

A popular low cost 3D modelling program is Alibre.

If you could find or describe some examples of the things you want to make or print, that would help us make better recommendations.

Let me start with what you say about your prusa printer. The "input" to that is a 3D model. There are many places you can download 3D models of almost anything that you can print on your printer.

However, if you cannot find the exact thing you need or the thing you find is not quite right, you either need to model it from scratch or modify an existing design. That would be called 3D CAD or 3D modelling.

If you only want 2D drawings (plans, elevations and dimensions) of something related to woodwork, you may only need a 2D CAD program. A 2D program will be of very limited use with your prusa. 2D CAD is like a computerised old-school drawing board that a draftsperson would have used.

There are various options for 3D modelling programs. Fusion360 is about the best known, followed by Onshape followed by DesignSpark. These are commercial programs that offer a feature-restricted sub-set of their capabilities for free. Fusion and Onshape are quite easy to learn the basics. All three programs are 'in the cloud'.

Another even more free 3D modelling program is FreeCAD. It has a very steep learning curve.

If you could find or describe some examples of the things you want to make or print, that would help us make better recommendations.
Hi I was looking design or layout my workshop/ shed and design something I might need so my 3D printer might be able make it. Plus some of the plans I’ve downloaded have c.a.d. Files I can’t open or use. It takes me 4 times longer to get things as I’ve lost my short term memory from strokes and some people get annoyed or don’t reply to me because I’ve ask same thing before. I don’t understand cad I only just understand the basics of my pursa printer. I don’t understand it I would like to. And maybe design something for tools to hang on or something. I’m going to try and build the hooked on wood workbench I’ve got the plans there is a cad file but not sure what is on it. I was looking at shaper or fusion 360 people say there ok on YouTube. It’s only thing I do as can’t get out and my shed has taken 2-3 years now doing inside.
Thanks Steve p.s. sorry for going on part of strokes I can’t find right words

I forgot to say thank you and apologise I couldn’t read all of your reply as words all get jumbled together so I’m sorry for that

I'm currently a Designspark Mechanical user (not quite a fan 😀). Like all programmes it has its good bits and those you would like to see improved. I tried Fusion 360 but couldn't get on with it.

Your Prusa needs a STL (stereo lithography) file or a 3mf file. As @Chailattesaid you can either download files from Thingyverse or similar or you have to design it yourself using Designspark (other programmes are available).

I've used Designspark for 3D sketches of non-printing items: sheds, cupboards etc.

Hope this will help. Have fun.
Martin.

I'm currently a Designspark Mechanical user (not quite a fan 😀). Like all programmes it has its good bits and those you would like to see improved. I tried Fusion 360 but couldn't get on with it.

Your Prusa needs a STL (stereo lithography) file or a 3mf file. As @Chailattesaid you can either download files from Thingyverse or similar or you have to design it yourself using Designspark (other programmes are available).

I've used Designspark for 3D sketches of non-printing items: sheds, cupboards etc.

Hope this will help. Have fun.
Martin.

Hi Martin, do you need a ‘slicer’ or does the Prusa take STL files directly?
I have an Ender3 and use Designspark Mechanical to generate the STL file then slice it using Ultimaker Cura to get the ‘gcode’ that directly drives the printer.

Latest posts

Back