Old-School Health and Safety Posters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I was reading a thread the other day and I saw this post by Coley which included an old H&S poster:
ColeyS1":1z19jeir said:
3150350704aae860ed7fc49aad8fec11.jpg

And while doing a little browsing again lately I saw this one:

UpKCdiU.png

I was wondering if there are any more like this, it's kind of fascinating in a weird way. I'd love some prints like that for my own workshop to decorate the place rather than take them seriously :wink:

Trevanion":10c5nxe8 said:
I was wondering if there are any more like this, it's kind of fascinating in a weird way. I'd love some prints like that for my own workshop to decorate the place rather than take them seriously :wink:

I agree ! I was given one many years ago that my mate bought from the bootsale. It took pride of place on the workshop wall until it got too grubby to keep up. Not health and safety related but these two made me chuckle the other day.

6a802c46ce610f462c93a5c4c1fc5a1e.jpg

2b3260b7465902f01e10dd56183b325d.jpg

(Screenshot from pinterest)

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

"Early attempts at a tablesaw" reminds me of those old saw pits where you'd have one bloke on top of the log sawing and another underneath helping whilst getting plastered in shavings everywhere and the eyes.

393px-Pitsaw00.jpg

True hard graft that was!

Trevanion":p1yruo4z said:
"Early attempts at a tablesaw" reminds me of those old saw pits where you'd have one bloke on top of the log sawing and another underneath helping whilst getting plastered in shavings everywhere and the eyes.

393px-Pitsaw00.jpg

True hard graft that was!

If you didn’t know.........the name for the guy who pulls the short straw and works below is called the underdog! That’s were the phrase comes from!

My dad had the British version of the file one shown above hung on his workshop wall for as long as I can remember.
I've seen him kick a lad out the workshop for working without a handle, it was one of his real no nos.

I wish you hadn't posted the one with the newspaper articles about the ring - made my physically wince when I read it..... YEOUCH!

Interesting on the "underdog" phrase - wonder if the guys on top also did rowing as a sport?

I worked with a crane driver who lost his ring finger when working as a banksman for another driver. He was pushing a large bundle of steel bars around against the wind with his left hand when he signaled the driver to wind it up quickly - unfortunately one of the tie wires went up through his wedding ring, ripping his finger out from the knuckle. I haven't a wedding ring now, having lost two because I cut the backs, so when they got caught on something they just flew off. A couple of times I was lucky and found them, a couple I wasn't.

It's become a little bit more of a fascination now.

I really particularly like this one:
9720626570_eb7fd3aa06.jpg

Safety-Poster-Show-1.jpg

a9497061fda9960b81f692ae8ae1c623--safety-quotes-safety-posters.jpg

Not old but made me chuckle:
d38dc8c5be5f4fbc23af9e3fe86ea9e0--safety-slogans-safety-quotes.jpg

ffb96bfc94a9bf39ad2005019f773e30--graphic-design-books-modern-graphic-design.jpg

Anyone who's handled an old steel braided line barehanded knows the pain
af66176b07829567c8c1469e94545fea--health-and-safety-toms.jpg

morris2.jpg

Back