Yet another wood ID... what jolly fun!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaac3d2

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up some sticks of reclaimed timber which had obviously been used for an external structure, perhaps a gazebo. The timber has obviously seen many years of service outside but has not rotted. I planed it up a bit and it looks like it might be rather nice. It is reddish with pale sapwood. I doesn't look like sapele. It planes easily and gives a nice smooth finish. There is no distinct smell on planing the surface, but that might be due to years of weathering, or my poor sense of smell ;) . Could it be a mahogany substitute of some description?
This is what it looks like unplaned:
image13.jpeg

Then after a few surface shavings:

image0 (3).jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

I have 9 approx 1100mm x 100mm x 43mm sticks. So I should be able to make something from them.

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. I have cut quite a bit of eucalyptus and never seen any this red. In my experience eucalyptus is much paler. However, having said that I do recall reading about Red River Gum timber which is a very red eucalypt species, so maybe you are right.

I did wonder about Keruing. I made a Moxon vice from some Keruing and Tulip wood a while back. Not my favourite timber as it leaks resin. The unknown timber in question has not shown signs of leaking resin, though that might be due to it's years exposed to the weather... or my lack of patience! Keuring is also very dense, more so than this timber I think. I hope it's not Keuring :unsure:

Back