Workshop/garage floor paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I though this would have been done to death, but I can’t find much using the search.

I’ve got a garage floor that is currently bare concrete, c.30 years old. A small amount of oil staining but largely ok. It’s flat and smooth enough. What would you recommend as a hard wearing coating system for use as a workshop. I won’t actually be bringing a car in, but will be moving wheeled woodworking machines around.

Cheers
Col

I’ve used the Leyland trade floor paint at work and home. It seals the dust and brightens things up. It does chip when dragging really heavy stuff about but can be touched up. Adding dried sand makes a non slip surface but it also is harder to clean. A bit smelly to apply but sticks really well

I know this is not paint, but I’ve just laid some PVC floor tiles in my single garage. I’m chuffed as nuts with them. It’s quieter more comfortable to walk on, and very easy to clean. The tiles are solid so rolling machines over them is no problem. They do not dent or deform with weight on them. They also form a thermal barrier to the concrete so standing on them you don’t get the cold coming up through your feet. And no I don’t work for a floor tile company😂

Thanks. Any view on which sealer and top coat?

Have a look at Resincoat's website (https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/).

I am happy with their products, but you can read their advice without buying.

Do be aware that two pack epoxy can be a bit sticky, so keep a spare brush on hand and do not cheap out on one whose hair will fall out halfway through. The epoxy has a (timed) pot life once mixed and you are not going to stop it.

Oh, and try to finish at the exit door rather than painting yourself into a corner...

Another option that will resist the machines and be very comfortable is 25mm polystyrene, plastic DPC sheet and floating, glued T&G chipboard.

I know this is not paint, but I’ve just laid some PVC floor tiles in my single garage. I’m chuffed as nuts with them. It’s quieter more comfortable to walk on, and very easy to clean. The tiles are solid so rolling machines over them is no problem. They do not dent or deform with weight on them. They also form a thermal barrier to the concrete so standing on them you don’t get the cold coming up through your feet. And no I don’t work for a floor tile company😂
Which tiles did you use and did you stick them down ?

Which tiles did you use and did you stick them down ?
I got them from the Garage Tile Shop. They had an offer on for free delivery at the time which saved £50. They went down in an afternoon. Very little cutting as all I needed to do was trim the connecting tabs off in some places to fit the width. I used a track saw which made short work of it. Glues don’t seem to stick. Not spilt anything else on them yet, so can’t comment on what else won’t stick. I used the Garage tile shop as they were one of the few to offer a light grey tile. They have a good range of other colours. Hope this helps.

I got them from the Garage Tile Shop. They had an offer on for free delivery at the time which saved £50. They went down in an afternoon. Very little cutting as all I needed to do was trim the connecting tabs off in some places to fit the width. I used a track saw which made short work of it. Glues don’t seem to stick. Not spilt anything else on them yet, so can’t comment on what else won’t stick. I used the Garage tile shop as they were one of the few to offer a light grey tile. They have a good range of other colours. Hope this helps.
Thanks Jaydee,
These? : https://www.garagetileshop.co.uk/product-category/garage-flooring

Back