Wood id.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzpoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I mentioned to a mate I liked making boxes and he's given me this piece of wood. Anyone have a guess what it may be. Why's it got a purple stain either end and if it would be any use after cutting it square. I don't have a planer, I can do the edges on my table saw sled but I'd have to try and flatten with a hand plane.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20241002_200248432.MP.jpg
    PXL_20241002_200248432.MP.jpg
    5.7 MB
  • PXL_20241002_200338423.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20241002_200338423.NIGHT.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • PXL_20241002_200259910.MP.jpg
    PXL_20241002_200259910.MP.jpg
    7.1 MB
Colour and sapwood tends to make me agree that it's yew. As said.
Also as said wear a mask. there's always dust with pretty well any woodworking process.
I'm allergic to wood dust now. Had to pretty well pack in woodworking some time back.

I also agree it looks like Yew, as said make sure you wear a mask as the dust is toxic. Interestingly the red berries produced by this bush/tree are edible as long as you remove the pip/seed as even 1 or 2 would make you severely sick.

I used some yew when i did evening classes, it had some gorgeous purple staining. Where the tree had stood in a field, it was where generations of horses had done their business.

The smell of horse when i worked it was unmistakable. Sadly the purple faded to brown once exposed to the air.

Once finished, the wood came up very fine and silky smooth. Would love to do some more. Hope you enjoy creating something.

The frame is maple. Needs a bit of TLC I see!

Yes, its yew. Yew can grow in a very haphazard way and can include lots of holes, splits and shakes. If water gets trapped in any of these the purple staining develops.
I've done a lot of work in yew and have never had a problem with its reputed toxicity, but best be careful.
Planing can be frustrating as the grain can be all over the place but you appear to have a nice piece here albeit with a lot of sapwood, so good luck with it.
Brian

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely use a mask. I'll have a go at making a box with it. Would you use the purple parts or cut it out. ?

Hi all. I mentioned to a mate I liked making boxes and he's given me this piece of wood. Anyone have a guess what it may be. Why's it got a purple stain either end and if it would be any use after cutting it square. I don't have a planer, I can do the edges on my table saw sled but I'd have to try and flatten with a hand plane.
Thanks
Almost certainly yew. This is a vase I made from a chunk from my neighbour when he'd done a bit of pruning.

Attachments

• 20240421_172741.jpg
    20240421_172741.jpg
    1.1 MB
That's a lovely piece with lots of great figure. Is it thick enough to re-saw? If you have a local sawmill they might be able to help mill it for you...

It;s Yew. Surprisingly soft when worked and a facemask is advised. It is glorious when finished but fades to a golden brown over time.

That's a lovely piece with lots of great figure. Is it thick enough to re-saw? If you have a local sawmill they might be able to help mill it for you...
Hi. It's not thick enough for me to resaw.. It's about 10 - 15mm. I was thinking of sawing it where it kinks off at an angle to get 2 straightish pieces. Jointing a edge on table saw sled. Then straighten the other edge against fence. hopefully flatten it best I can with a hand plane.

Back