Wood clock first pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Finally got round to mounting my clock on the wall, apologies for quality of pics.

4440900873_d3013271f9.jpg

Had it working perfectly in the workshop then had the bright idea of spraying it white as Birch ply is not exactly decorative and was careful not to get paint in the teeth, ok maybe white not to everybodys taste and just made the dial ring and not sure what to do with it yet.

4441681972_1e29e26d6a.jpg

Now I`ve noticed after spraying it stops after 30 mins or so so a bit of tweaking to do yet.

Regards
Steve

Way to go steve, sure looks the business mate, glad you managed to get her done.
You must be really pleased with it, not simple by any means but you pulled it off, well done.. :lol:

Ta for the comments chaps. Don`t really advise a clock for a first scrolling project but very enjoyable all the same :lol: . I have a very active grandaughter who thinks the counter weight is like a football, not something I planned when hanging it where it is :?
Cheers
Steve

Magnificent!

Getting it going for thirty minutes (and perfectly in the workshop, but that's a well known law of nature) is pretty dam' good for a first effort at a clock of any sort, let alone one where you have to make the gears yourself.

Congratulations. I still have the plans for half a dozen clocks somewhere so you are putting me to shame now!

For me, if you are doing the body in white, I would try and do the faceplate out of real timber, even if you have to laminate several pieces edge on to get the circle. I would want it to look like it was made from wood if you see what I mean, with the faceplate being highly polished or emphasising the beauty of timber in some way. Beech plate with mahogany hour indicators perhaps? A contrast between the indicators and the plate anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

My compliments added as well Steve.

BTW that spell checker is FU. (The free dictionary) it takes you to a page to check the spelling and when you come back to ukworkshop your message has gone. :x

Hi chaps
Sorry for delay replying (work! :cry: ).
The plans I used are from here http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm and mine is the `Simplicity` clock. Here is the guy himself with a `Simplicity` clock like mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByKfUSm67K4
I think my plans were about $25 last year. All the gears,wheels,pointers and frame are made from either 6mm or 12mm Birch ply (for 12mm I just glued 2x6mm together) My clock can be made in two versions with or without a counter balance and I`m thinking of having a go with the one without a counter balance. Clayton encourages you to photo copy the plans so you don`t ruin the originals so you can make hundreds of clocks if you`ve a mind to :lol: The plans suggest 1.5" copper tube for the weight to hold the lead (7lbs) but er indoors didn`t like copper so I hollowed out some pieces of Elm I had but not sure about them yet.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve - looking great I'm going to work up to a Clayton Boyer clock when I've built up some practice on my yet-to-be-bought scroll saw. What make / model saw do you use?

gasmansteve":11lu9bzd said:
Don`t really advise a clock for a first scrolling project but very enjoyable all the same :lol:

In retrospect, what type of project would you have out with?

Hi Jadboog
I use a Scheppach Decoflex the only one I`ve used but others say the SIP and Axminster models are very good. It seems the blades are every bit as important as the saw(maybe more so!) and I have been recommended those from `The Dutchman` in the states but have not tried them yet. My local diy shop stocks the Olsen blades and they have done me up to now but I`m still learning at scrolling so good/bad blades a bit beyond me yet.
Regards
Steve

Love your work. I see that you say that a clock may not be a good idea as the first scroll saw project. OOOPS. Just started my All wood skeleton project. Any suggestions, to make the job go a little smoother? :shock:

Hi Strider
Thanks for the comments. I suggested a clock may not be the best project for a beginner because I was having to learn how to use my saw and scrolling in general at the same time as making a fairly complex time piece which would have been easier had I the skills I needed at the start. I had to make a few gear wheels before I was satisfied with them. An important suggestion I would make would be to take your time, its easy to say but I do have to fight the urge to see an end result and if you rush at making these time pieces they will let you know as the thing just wont work. Do keep us informed how you get on with it and if I can help in any way I will do. Nearly got it working spot on now BTW it gains about a minute over two days which just needs a tweak on the pendulum length.
Cheers
Steve

Back