Wood carving courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tried a course, but the Chris Pye book is actually very good as setting out is half the battle, followed by getting the corner cuts right. He also does online courses that I didn't need. In my case it was just letter carving. I bought too many chisels (mostly old) and found that I only really use two or three for 99% of the work.

If you are asking about sculptural carving then I have no experience of that.

It’s tricky because of existing skill sets. A total novice may never have picked up any woodworking tools, whereas others turn up with 40 years of working with wood, so all the chapters in a book like Chris Pyes excellent primer on tool and timber selection and use, on benches and holding are all superfluous. I have really enjoyed reading the various old woodcarving books digitised and available in various archives such as project Gutenberg, They date to a time when carving, and carving courses were ubiquitous and often form a clear skill progression. The one below has been a very good read, for example.

A good instructor would discuss your experience and direction and work with your friend to develop their skills. Although many classes have been axed it may be an idea to contact local adult education centres just in case. Sufficient demand can lead to classes being restarted sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.png
    IMG_0361.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also, Although the British Woodcarving Association is no more, the British Decoy and Wildfowl Carving Association (BDWCA) might be worth contacting for advice. If Shardlow is not too far away the Trent Valley group of the BDWCA seem to meet there. Try an internet search for local clubs; stick-makers groups can contain useful contacts too. These could be worth speaking to? https://www.ddwc.uk/about-3-1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back