Winter fuel Payments.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I'm in Wales and get free prescriptions.....why? I, and most if not all of my mates, can afford to pay for medicines so why aren't we means tested?
The problem with means testing is the difficulty of doing it correctly, takes a lot of effort=cost.

Maybe everyone below pensionable age in the UK should just pay for prescriptions as before devolution ? The annual prescription option can keep costs reasonable for those on many medications.

I wish in the same statement there had been be push to ensure pensioners in cold homes had real help with insulation and fuel efficiency

Still its sensible not giving handouts to those of us pensioners well able to meet our bills, while there are so many really in need of support.
On a personal level, though my wife and I will lose the allowance, we can take that in our stride.

The problem is - and they were told by senior Civil Servants - that due to the aging IT pension systems, it isn't possible to means test the Winter fuel payments, any more than it was to limit the additional one-off fuel payments made to all households to only those below a certain threshold. This sets out the position:

‘Rachel Reeves will be forced to U-turn on winter fuel means tests, warns former minister’

Chancellor Rachel Reeves has been warned that her plans to means test winter fuel payments will not be possible because of ageing computer systems.
Former pensions minister Guy Opperman, who ran benefits for pensioners between 2017 and 2022 and looked at means testing winter fuel payments, has issued a warning that the system in the Department for Work and Pensions cannot cope with the changes Ms Reeves has proposed.

The chancellor announced she would save almost £3 billion by ending winter fuel payments of £200 for over-70s and £800 for over-80s who are not on pension credit. That means around 10 million out of the 11.5 million pensioners who received the payment will no longer get it and 7 million of the 8.5 million households which received it will no longer be entitled to the payment.

Ms Reeves announcement was met with gasps in the Commons from MPs and shouts of “shame” but she insisted: “If we can't afford it, we can't do it.”
Age UK though has warned that at least 2 million pensioners who need the help no longer be receiving it. And in a thread on X (formerly Twitter), Mr Opperman has explained why he believes Ms Reeves will be forced to u-turn on the plan,

He wrote: “I was the Minister in charge of this policy at DWP from 2017-2022. Labour are making a big mistake.

“Firstly an explanation of our benefit system. It is a big beast made up of 12+ ageing computer systems and 1000s of admin staff. It does not do nuance and fine margins. The state pension and add on benefits - winter fuel payment, Christmas support etc are one off payments.”

He went on: “Over the last few years the Conservative government added an extra £300 extra cost of living winter fuel payment support to all pensioners, meaning they got £500-£600 in winter fuel payments. This is also not being renewed by Labour. So the £500-600 loss to a pensioner on state pensions is huge.”

He said that the debate over whether the £22 billion black hole Ms Reeves identified really exists and whether she had to pay inflation busting wage increases for public sector workers of between 5 per cent and 6 per cent was a different debate. “But the government choice is to pay for this using money paid to support vulnerable pensioners during cold winters,” Mr Opperman added.

“I know the DWP civil servants who are advising the ministers.

They know you cannot means test the winter fuel payment, save money and not avoid big gaps in support. The reason is because, whilst we all agree multi millionaires should not need winter fuel payment support, people who have only the state pension do need this support. The error is Labour is targeting both these groups. Their exceptions are way way too narrow. And this relies on pension credit applications filling the gap.”

Opperman was also minister for pension credit and spoke of how difficult it was to get people to apply for it.

“I, the DWP and other ministers worked ceaselessly to drive up applications and take up. We campaigned in a multitude of ways from advertising in post offices, media campaigns, letters to pensioners, letters to local papers and even enlisted Len Goodman. “We succeeded in increasing take up. But still hundreds of thousands of people did not apply. And the application is slow and complicated. It needs hundreds and hundreds of people to man any increase in this system. People, by the way, that the DWP do not presently have. But that is how Gordon Brown designed pension credit.”

He concluded: “So the reality is that between multi-millionaires and state pensioners not on pension credit thousands of pensioners will struggle to heat their homes this winter; I know hundreds of my former constituents in Northumberland will struggle this winter. “One thing is sure. This policy as presently proposed will not last. I am afraid the ministers should listen to their civil servants on this one.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...1&cvid=b385c068d9f24bd38ea81209388061ea&ei=53

The incoming government, notably Rachel Reeves, promised fiscal responsibility and restraint. 'We won't do what we can't afford to do'. The early signs aren't promising. They rightly criticised the outgoing government for it's predilection to use private jets to swan around the world, but here we are, with Starmer, David Lammy et al jetting around the world in private jets, including Starmer's trip to the Euros, in some instances the same type of plane used by Taylor Swift. Exactly what they said they'd put a stop to if elected. Just 'weasel words'.

They said they'd 'negotiate' to settle pay disputes in the NHS and with teachers and other public sector employees. I have no problem with accepting the recommendations of the independent Pay Review Body of 5% (even though it's double the rate of inflation). However, 22% - ten times the rate of inflation, doesn't sound like 'negotiation' - more like capitulation. And of course, these pay rises don't include employer National Insurance contributions and employer pension contributions, which are additional cost burdens.

They're supposed to be 'filling a black hole' which brings to mind the saying: 'If you're in a hole - stop digging'.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive’ . (Not Shakespeare - Sir Walter Scott. 1808).

If you lie or act dishonestly you are initiating problems and a domino structure of complications which eventually run out of control.

Time will tell.

1722428005434.png

I'm sure that the cost of Winter Fuel Payments, could be reduced in fairer ways. For instance, do two people in the same household need to have it? They are, after all, heating the same property.
I have reconciled myself to this being the contribution I as a pensioner have to make to help with government finances .We are, however , easy-to-pick low hanging fruit. It remains to be seem whether the government will be quite so successful when it comes to raising taxes off the wealthier in society.

It remains to be seem whether the government will be quite so successful when it comes to raising taxes off the wealthier in society.
If they are already using tax avoidance schemes then starmer can raise taxes and they will just avoid them as well or decide to move assets out of the Uk.

I'm sure that the cost of Winter Fuel Payments, could be reduced in fairer ways
Reeves has picked off an easy target first to boost her ego in readiness to claw in taxes from other potential sources. No mention of the many who have chosen unemployment and benefit as a career choice, I know of several who are now in their forties and never held down a full time job but will have full NI contributions for pension and also claim credits and rent reductions which must be costing far more than the winter fuel allowance but not such an easy target.

Not everyone who is poor is on Tax Credits, Therefore it will be withdrawn from many of those who are reliant on it. This hints of a very poor understanding of fuel poverty.

It certainly is pointless to give it to millionaires just because they have reached their dotage. After all I would class King Charles as being in this category. :giggle:
But equally it should not be withdrawn from those who are in need because it is convenient, from an administration point of view, to link it to tax credits.

Would it not be equally expedient to link it to income based on ones tax returns?
I thoroughly agree. Not everybody that could really do with the payment is on credits. Was Tony Blair means tested over child benefits when he was in office? I don’t remember any MP’s being on credits.

Rather than cutting winter fuel allowances, a very easy target would be to put all Mp expenses through an independant company so they cannot just buy anything and have to select from a list of items that could be bulk purchased and also held to more account. Then remove the body that awards them payrises they cannot turn down as if they would. They are already on way to much money for the job so to show solidarity with other people they should put in place at least a five year payfreeze.

I'm sure that the cost of Winter Fuel Payments, could be reduced in fairer ways. For instance, do two people in the same household need to have it? They are, after all, heating the same property.
The WFP is per property, rather than 2 people getting the full amount. I reached pension age before my wife so I received the full £200 for a couple of years but when she reached pension age we both received £100 each instead.

Whether we needed it or not of course is a whole different conversation.

What should have been done is just stop anyone living outside the Uk from getting them as they are living in warmer climates
I don't get the allowance but if I did I guess it could be stopped because of the mild winters here. After all, it rarely drops below -30C for more than a week or two at a time.

Well, here's another thought......I'm in Wales and get free prescriptions.....why? I, and most if not all of my mates, can afford to pay for medicines so why aren't we means tested? Would save the ludicrously expanded welsh assembly a small fortune methinks.

Then put the cost into a rattle tin or other worthy cause for every prescription item.

I don't get the allowance but if I did I guess it could be stopped because of the mild winters here. After all, it rarely drops below -30C for more than a week or two at a time.
I live in France and don't get it because the average temperature is above the minimum.
It's above the minimum because Reunion Island near the equator is part of France

Where it really hurts is when you have a small additional pension (RN Service) on top of the state pension, this puts you only a few pounds over the limit (I know this because it is my situation) for pension credit. For those receiving pension credit it then opens up many more benefits which quickly takes you way past people like me. I might add that as I receive less than half the minimum wage I am living in poverty. I also have to pay income tax!
What I don't hear any discussion about is that during Covid lockdowns etc. All civil servants received full pay and must have done very well. No idea what the gender balance is but I imagine that it is at least 50/50. With no commuting expenses, no child care payments, no payments on clothes etc.etc. No doubt many "working from home" had a computer supplied.

Where it really hurts is when you have a small additional pension (RN Service) on top of the state pension, this puts you only a few pounds over the limit (I know this because it is my situation) for pension credit. For those receiving pension credit it then opens up many more benefits which quickly takes you way past people like me. I might add that as I receive less than half the minimum wage I am living in poverty. I also have to pay income tax!
What I don't hear any discussion about is that during Covid lockdowns etc. All civil servants received full pay and must have done very well. No idea what the gender balance is but I imagine that it is at least 50/50. With no commuting expenses, no child care payments, no payments on clothes etc.etc. No doubt many "working from home" had a computer supplied.
I think you make a very fair point about the cliff edge nature of the benefit system which needs to be fixed.

Where it really hurts is when you have a small additional pension (RN Service) on top of the state pension, this puts you only a few pounds over the limit (I know this because it is my situation) for pension credit. For those receiving pension credit it then opens up many more benefits which quickly takes you way past people like me.
This is an example where someone who has worked and got a pension ends up worse off than someone who has just had a few odd jobs, periods of benefits and generally taken the easiest route through life but ends up with full state pension, rent paid as well as council tax and a few other perks, it is not a good advert for saying working hard pays.

They continued to work for the same pay. What's the issue ?
My daughter worked from home in lockdown, it wasn't as easy for her as her usual work, often working more hours than before, disruptive here for everyone else too. She used the laptop should would normally use before covid. I'm sure it was the same for many civil servants.

Rhossydd,​

That wasn't true for Passport office or Driving licence departments. This isn't personal, no doubt all could quote some one they knew. When most had to commute into work and wear decent clothes and possibly pay for child care all of those expenses stopped. My daughter worked through the whole covid period as they sell animal feeds and could not work from home. The standards of most interactions with "authorities" dropped through the floor.

When most had to commute into work and wear decent clothes and possibly pay for child care all of those expenses stopped.​

Loosing those personal costs of working won't have meant they "did very well".
Maybe try working from home and see how difficult it is.

Do you seriously suggest civil servants should have had their wages cut because they had to work from Home ?

Easy to say when you’re worth £millions.
There is much that I don’t agree with Polly Toynbee on but having read her article on the link quoted earlier I think she nailed this. I don’t see the relevance of the article from 2008 on the issue. Yes she’s been born into wealth and has liberal views but that doesn’t undermine the logic of what she has said.

As she says in her article the winter fuel payment was brought in as a bung when pensions were much lower. More importantly she makes the point that the budget is an opportunity to improve support for pensioners who genuinely need it.

We all knew (whichever way we voted) that some decisions were going to need to be taken that would not be universally popular. I find some of the views expressed that this decision means Labour won’t win the next election a bit premature if not odd. That outcome will be decided based on how people feel when they vote at the time - many things will happen between now and then. The withdrawal of one benefit that arguably defied logic in the way it was applied in the first place is unlikely to stand out.

I didn’t vote Labour but while it remains very early days I’m pleased that they are cracking on as we weren’t getting anywhere under the circus of the last government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back