Window Frame Glass Surround Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve stripped back a window and where the glass meets the wood, there appears to be some sort of hard sealant which has deteriorated and crumbled away. What would you recommend I replace it with? Caulk?
I’ve also attached a photo of one of the sides where it is still good and solid.
Thank you in advance, Brenda
IMG_7430.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpeg
    IMG_7431.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    2.5 MB
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    3 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB
I'm old, so I would use putty because I always have. There may be more modern products, someone else may have a better idea. (There is a particular and serene satisfaction in working putty in your hand and applying a good bead)

It looks like old linseed putty to me. A tub is pretty cheap and it's very forgiving stuff to work with, however it does take a good while to go hard. You can alternatively use any paintable window glazing mastic/putty, eg this one. They harden/set much quicker but they can be very messy to workwith.

I'd not use caulk unless the window is an internal one.

Chisel of the old putty then use Hybrid polymer glazing sealant, Hodgesons heritage putty is probably the best, timbaglaze is another or 3C do their own one now you can even use Stixall.
Use a Palu block or you might get away with a decent silicone tool if you have one, clean excess of with a razor blade.

I'm old, so I would use putty because I always have. There may be more modern products, someone else may have a better idea. (There is a particular and serene satisfaction in working putty in your hand and applying a good bead)
Agree, Linseed oil putty. It's the original method it was made with and does a good job. Only proviso is it's only really compatible with oil-based coatings.

Agree. Glazing putty has been around for ages and trusted. However, it does age and go brittle. A PVA silicone could work between the glass and frame, to sea

Glazing (Linseed) putty will be easier to put back particularly if this is your first time re-glazing a window as it is easier to work with. You must clean up the recess and make sure that there is no rotten wood (there probably is as the old putty has failed/dried up) and if there is they cut it out and fill with conservation filler first before reglazing.

I'd clean up carefully and then paint the rebate and remaining putty with linseed oil. Keep it off the glass it's a bogger to remove once set.
Then finish off with good old fashioned linseed-oil putty - cheap, easy to apply, lasts 100s of years (if maintained with the occasional touch-up of paint).
I've no great confidence in modern alternatives but we will never know until we find them still in good nick say 50 years on.

Latest posts

Back