Which Planer Thicknesser? advice needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotherNewbie

Reaction score
Posted this in the General section. Had a few helpful replies but realise now it should have gone here - sorry, haven't been here long!

Looking to buy a Planer/Thicknesser. Whilst cost is an issue, I would rather pay more for something worthwhile now, than regret it later or look to upgrade in the future.

Been looking around for a while to get to know the makes and this forum has been very helpful. I've seen what Axminster has to offer and one of their stores is 30 miles from me so I intend to make a visit.

But this is where I need the advice. Do I look to pick up something secondhand and get more machine for my money or go for something like the Jet (which would be at my max budget, plus abit!)

In a previous thread/survey I know that the Scheppach HMS 260 was popular, but how do they compare to the current Axminster/Jet models? Any others I should consider?

Any contributions/pointers greatfully received

I'm a satisfied owner of the AW106PT but, if you can afford to go for one of the Jets, I'd highly recommend it. You'll save yourself a good deal of hassle and bother with not having to remove the fence when changing modes and a couple of other things. :)

If you are prepared to spend that much then, you may also want to look at the Record Power PT300 - there's bound to be a dealer somewhere near you. :wink:

Some people are a bit sceptical about Scheppach now that they've started importing parts for their machines from the Far East. My understanding is that they're still assembled in Europe... Their thicknessers have rubber-coated feed rollers which leave a superior finish to all the others... Is it really necessary though, when you're going to scrape and sand afterwards anyway?

You could also look for an older lump of cast iron on eBay. Most of the machines on there are going to need work doing to them but, they're built to last a lifetime, so to speak. :) Look out for machines that take resharpenable HSS blades; preferably three of them.

If you could afford the extra space though, I would always recommend you go for a stand alone surface planer and thicknesser...

This weekend, in Bedford, there is a nice little Kity planer (not thicknesser) for sale at the auction (Peacocks).

It won't go for a lot.

Neil

Hi Nother,
I've had the Sheppach for around 12 months now, no complaints, anywhere, except, when changing modes, there's a lot of winding the thicknessing bed up and down, apart from that, spot on.

Graham

Latest posts

Back