Which hard varnish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ennogs

Reaction score
I have bought 2 pieces of Natural Halifax Oak to use for making myself a new computer table.

One piece is 940mm x 1900mm and will be the computer table top. The second piece is 304mm x 780mm and will be used as keyboard shelf.

I want to coat them in a clear hard varnish to protect them. I don’t know what I need. Do I need Mattcoat, Satincoat, or Hardglaze?

It depends what you want the finish to look like - shiny, Matt or somewhere in between?
I think I would prefer shiny but my main criteria is to protect the wood. Looking online I see there are lots of different types of clear hard varnish. I want to make sure the clear hard varnish I use is one that is suitable for the Natural Halifax Oak wood I bought.

Well yes I would have recommended those too but didn’t on purpose , are we sure it won’t just peel off the Melamine? I don’t think that it is designed to have a finish applied.
Wax maybe?
Ian

Well yes I would have recommended those too but didn’t on purpose , are we sure it won’t just peel off the Melamine? I don’t think that it is designed to have a finish applied.
Wax maybe?
Ian
Yes - I agree now you point that out.

Melamine isn’t supposed to have any protective finish on it as far as I know.

@ennogs - apologies for not reading the full detail before responding.

As I say above I don’t think melamine needs a protective layer. Thinking about it though if you are wanting to give it some extra protection I would suggest looking at Rustins plastic coating. It’s used for pub bar tops.

An e-Mail or phone call to AG Woodcare, Woodfinishes Direct or Restorate may come up with some other suggestions.

I have looked a bit more for myself. I should have done better research before buying the wood. As it was listed as Natural Halifax Oak I thought I bought real oak but as you all know I bought melamine.

The company I bought the wood from says on its website "Melamine boards cannot be varnished because they are made from a paper or fabric layer soaked in melamine resin, which is then thermally fused to a particleboard or MDF core. The melamine surface is essentially plastic, which does not absorb varnish".

So you were right, varnishing is not an option for me.

Last edited:
@ennogs - apologies for not reading the full detail before responding.

As I say above I don’t think melamine needs a protective layer. Thinking about it though if you are wanting to give it some extra protection I would suggest looking at Rustins plastic coating. It’s used for pub bar tops.

An e-Mail or phone call to AG Woodcare, Woodfinishes Direct or Restorate may come up with some other suggestions.

Would this protect the melamine against drink spillages and knocks?

If I’m understanding you correctly from the comments above you are trying to find something to protect melamine coated chipboard. Melamine isn’t oak it’s a resin based substance (edit - as you say above as posts crossed!)

You could put hard wax on it but I don’t personally think there is really much point - I don’t think it will adhere effectively.

I think the Rustins product would adhere and it’s tough/hard wearing. I’d suggest a quick e-Mail to one of the previously mentioned suppliers to confirm. They’re all very helpful!

If I’m understanding you correctly from the comments above you are trying to find something to protect melamine coated chipboard. Melamine isn’t oak it’s a resin based substance.

You could put hard wax on it but I don’t personally think there is really much point - I don’t think it will adhere effectively.
Yes, you understand me correctly. I was looking to protect the wood. Due to it being described on the website as Natural Halifax Oak I wrongly assumed I was buying real oak.

Would you also rule out using Rustins plastic coating?

Melamine is effectively a hard varnish already. Trying to coat it with something will likely give you a worse finish, and you won’t have the option of sanding it off and starting again.

I’d just crack on and use it

Yes, you understand me correctly. I was looking to protect the wood. Due to it being described on the website as Natural Halifax Oak I wrongly assumed I was buying real oak.

Would you also rule out using Rustins plastic coating?
I wouldn’t do it personally as I don’t think you need coat it with anything else. It’s designed to be a work surface as it is. It’s the only thing I can think of that I think may work if you are dead set on putting something on it. As I’ve already mentioned an e-Mail to one of the suppliers will uncover if they’ve had the question before.

Our computer desktop is smooth, silk finish black melamine. It's about four years old and is used daily - I'm replying from it now. We use a mouse on it without a mat and see no wear marks. The only wax finish it gets is with a common spray furniture polish when dusting. So, I would suggest you leave it as it is. If it has a textured feel to it you may want to get a mouse mat as the high bumps in the texture may show wear over years and your mouse will respond better.

Latest posts

Back