Which compressor for air assist? Please recommend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyS

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good day!

I would like to ask all of you chaps that use air assist for laser cutting - what air source do you use?
My air assist pump (Neje) doesn't seem to be able to keep up with cutting plywood. From what I could learn out there on the big Internet, opinions are very diffuse. Some would swear by a tankless airbrush compressor like the infamous AS18-2 (regardless of the brand). Others, by the AS186 (again, regardless of the brand). Then there are the Vevor supporters with either of 8 or 9 l 'ultra-silent oil-less' air compressors https://eur.vevor.com/air-compresso...clinic-oil-air-compressor-550w-p_010933227596 or https://eur.vevor.com/air-compresso...psi-70-db-ultra-quiet-oil-free-p_010717545933. There are, of course, the supporters of classical air assist pumps or the bigger aquarium type pumps. Finally, there are those who claim that 'only big tanks really get the job done'.

What do you use and what works for you? I know the liter per minute requirement and other conditions but there is a plethora of compressors over 10-12 l/min, most of these above, too. Personally, I purchased the Neje air assist pump for my Neje max 4 E80 being convinced that it will cover my needs. I will mainly cut 3mm plywood, 3-4mm mdf and some Valchromat on occasion, but most of my work is aimed either at engraving or at making offset inlays of various types. For the time being my budget isn't great, otherwise I'd probably buy the Makita. Nevertheless, I'm asking you because I'm looking for hands-on experience.

Much appreciated!

Brad

My Creality Falcon 2, 22w came with it's own air supply and seems to work well. I haven't looked to see what the output is but it's a small fairly quiet pump.
A purpose built enclosure with a domestic 100mm extractor on the back takes care of smoke and fumes.

I did not mention enclosure and extraction, true. These coming days I'll finish installing the laser in a dedicated enclosure built according to my possibilities. Afterwards, pictures will come. The enclosure is fitted with an AC Infinity Cloudline Pro T6 150mm/6-inch inline fan. Link here for those who are not familiar: https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-...1eXN3YAsanbge-JUIwzIB0tPYRUcJmVcVXbtkjgwvFlHh. Got it last year from your eBay at a price I simply could not refuse.

My interest is in the air source specifically as I plan on working with Valchromat in engraving and cutting alike. I won't need to cut thicker than 8 or 12 mm. It is however Valchromat not regular mdf. It has great workability with classic woodworking instruments, not sure if it's tougher properties make it easier of harder to laser cut and I couldn't find related info. And I do want to cut without issues and surprises. Anyway, sorry for the long reply and thank you for the feedback. Let's see if other members use other solutions, every bit of feedback put together gives me a better understanding. Thank you!

You use the fan for extraction I presume. Or for assist?
Assist. I printed a reducer for the fan then have a silicon hose to the laser head then a copper nozzle directly on to the cut point. I was using a printed concentric nozzle at one point but changed the laser head and went for a more generic solution

I have extraction as well via an inline bathroom fan and ducting from the cabinets to the outside.

Back