What wood for outdoor furniture / planters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart M

Established Member
Reaction score
I downloaded a couple of plans for garden planters. One of them recommended using MDF, which I now understand is a terrible choice (correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anyone recommend a wood that would be fairly inexpensive and weather-resistant (or easy to weather-resist) ?

Am I right in thinking that the type of wood wouldn't matter if it was properly sealed / treated?

Thanks.

I had a similar question not long ago, might be some useful answers for you too: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/budget-exterior-wood.148103

For my builds, I went with construction lumber and pallet wood then painted with an exterior grade paint.

I do plan on building some more with hardwood and not painting them, considering larch at the moment, as it seems reasonably priced.

I do plan on building some more with hardwood and not painting them, considering larch at the moment, as it seems reasonably priced.
I can't let that 'error' go - it may lead to others thinking the same!

Larch is a SOFTWOOD. Although deciduous - which often indicates that the timber should be classed as a 'Hardwood' - it is part of the family of Pines.

If they are going to be painted then pressure treated softwood will do. If you prefer a more upmarket look then Iroko is a good compromise. It will need an exterior preservative of course.

I've used pressure treated softwood for planters/raised beds (unpainted). They are holding up, but it's only been 3 years. I did coat them with a preservative, particularly any cut ends. I also lined the interior (this was mostly to protect the wood from wet soil though it also stops any chemicals in the pressure treated wood seeping into the soil - though I'm not sure if that is really a concern...)

i dont think the words "inexpensive" and "outdoor weather resistant "go together. i used accoya on outdoor projects, costs a lot but guaranteed for 50 years outside.
"Guaranteed"? By whom? How?
I agree with your sentiment and recommendation, but it's not guaranteed
Or...https://www.dino.co.uk/category/composite-decking-boards/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24eGqLDFhwMVdE72CB0B_iLsEAEYASAAEgKwGPD_BwE

I made the frame for this with carcassing type timber and clad it with cedar t&g. Larch would work well too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I downloaded a couple of plans for garden planters. One of them recommended using MDF, which I now understand is a terrible choice (correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anyone recommend a wood that would be fairly inexpensive and weather-resistant (or easy to weather-resist) ?

Am I right in thinking that the type of wood wouldn't matter if it was properly sealed / treated?

Thanks.
Hi Stuart,

For an inexpensive and weather-resistant option, consider Iroko, Cedar or Treated Pine. All options perform well against the elements!

And yes, you’re correct! If treated properly, many types of wood can hold up well against weather conditions. Just be sure to choose the right sealant for maximum durability.

Whether it's advise or materials you require please don't hesitate to contact us, we're more than happy to assist you with your project!

- Whitmore's Timber Co. Ltd

Chestnut is a good exterior wood sadly it has a price tag to match

"Guaranteed"? By whom? How?
I agree with your sentiment and recommendation, but it's not guaranteed
Or...https://www.dino.co.uk/category/composite-decking-boards/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24eGqLDFhwMVdE72CB0B_iLsEAEYASAAEgKwGPD_BwE
it has a 50 year warranty by the manufacturer, same as any other warranty, obviously.

I'm somewhat intrigued that the focus for this thread moved from a recommedation for a suitable timber to construct a garden planter from (note the OP used the word 'garden', not 'commercial grower') to one about the longevity of various timber types.

Would an individual who wants to do nothing more than 'knock-up' a simple garden planter expect such an object to last a lifetime ?

I'm somewhat intrigued that the focus for this thread moved from a recommedation for a suitable timber to construct a garden planter from (note the OP used the word 'garden', not 'commercial grower') to one about the longevity of various timber types.

Would an individual who wants to do nothing more than 'knock-up' a simple garden planter expect such an object to last a lifetime ?
if its just a small planter for flowers it isnt as important, if its something larger for more permanent planting or subdividing a lawn from a patio for example it matters, you dont want to take it apart in 5 or 6years when the plants are established to rebuild the thing when it starts falling apart.

Ah - it seems that what you mean by a 'planter' isn't what I understand to be a 'planter' ...

If you only want it for 'flowers', a vase would be appropriate, otherwise we're moving raidly towards ralway sleeprer raised bed land.(and everything in between).

In my 'umble opinion, a 'planter' generally tends to be a square (or round) wooden receptacle that may/may not house compost. It it does house compost, is usually lined with a membrane and has some form of leg/raised base for drainage. Another 'planter' attribute is that it tends to house a dead plant or two for at least 8 months of the year. They are normally made from carp timber, have a limited life (not because they've rotted out, but because SWMBO has decidedd she's gone off it because it's not 'trending' anymore).

Another thing to bear in mind is that 'planters' rarely survive a house move and, even if they did, SWMBO would soon be of the opinion that it/they don't 'fit' with the new garden ...

Apologies to all for the slow resposne - I was just about ask this again, then checked notifications!

I had a similar question not long ago, might be some useful answers for you too: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/budget-exterior-wood.148103

For my builds, I went with construction lumber and pallet wood then painted with an exterior grade paint.

I ended up going with regular 15mm plywood - it's hard to get anything else around here.

Currently using an undercoat and a regular exterior matt paint, with plenty of sanding inbetween. Results are ok, but I think I'd like something a bit smoother. I was recommended a glossy syntetic enamel, so might try that out if it's cost-efficient.

Did you do anything else paint-wise?

Hi Stuart,

For an inexpensive and weather-resistant option, consider Iroko, Cedar or Treated Pine. All options perform well against the elements!

And yes, you’re correct! If treated properly, many types of wood can hold up well against weather conditions. Just be sure to choose the right sealant for maximum durability.

Whether it's advise or materials you require please don't hesitate to contact us, we're more than happy to assist you with your project!

- Whitmore's Timber Co. Ltd

I'm struggling to source woods like that in France, but will keep looking. I'll check your site for ideas.

I'm currently using regular ply from our local wood reclamation warehouse, and this will probably be sufficient for my current project which is just personal, and a chance to learn how to use my tools and hone some basic woodworking skills (mostly sanding, unfortunately)

The reclamation place has a good deal on Okoumé and Poplar plys, which looks a bit more premium than regular DIY store stuff - much difference between those 2?
I'm not sure if the species matters much when it comes to ply?

Thanks all!

Back