What to add to my turning tool collection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy HSS round and flat bar on Amazon/Ebay cheaply enough and make your own scrapers and round skews.

I remember club lathes had five tools each - a parting tool, a bowl gouge, a spindle gouge, a roughing gouge and a skew. They were deemed enough for 95% of turning.

Had a thought this morning, dangerous, I know :) and then grabbed a grinder and a couple of flap wheels to attack those Sorby spindle gouges. Half an hour later and after a trip to the grinder, they now look like this.

IMG_5766.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

The larger one doesn't fit in the oneway guide so that was done freehand. They're by no means perfect but I think they look at least useable for now.

Which gives me this currently as the starter set for spindles, ½" & ¾" spindle gouges and ½" & 1" skews.
IMG_5768.jpeg

and leaves a parting tool, bowl gouge and roughing gouge to acquire and possibly a ⅜" spindle gouge in HSS for smaller work.

For the extra £10 I think I'll get the 1 ¼" roughing gouge over the ¾" as I have an endless supply of logs from the woodland, ⅜" bowl gouge seems to be most recommended and just leaves the parting tool style and size to be decided.

You can buy HSS round and flat bar on Amazon/Ebay cheaply enough and make your own scrapers and round skews.

I remember club lathes had five tools each - a parting tool, a bowl gouge, a spindle gouge, a roughing gouge and a skew. They were deemed enough for 95% of turning.
Good to know for the future that I can get HSS bar, that hadn't occurred to me and I like making my own tools.
The starter set sounds a lot like what I'm trying to put together :)

Back