What timber and treatment would you use for a garden gate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Nutt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to make a garden gate like the one in the attached picture. This one is oak but I'm interested to know what timber and treatment you would use for such a project?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.43.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.43.48.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 272
£195 for a pair of knackered gates!? That's daylight robbery and then some!

There's a multitude of timbers you could use to make a garden gate from, and there are even more ways to treat it. It all depends on what look you're going for / what your preference is.

One made from Oak wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, it would be costlier compared to a pine version but you could do it on the cheap if you know where to look. You could look up some local Joinery workshops who make staircases and the like and pop in with them and ask if they've got any large offcuts of Oak, they'll sell it a damn sight cheaper than any timber merchant would and you can pick out the pieces you want.

When I've made gates in the past I used a couple of heavy dousings of Osmo WR basecoat and then slapped on 3 coats of the Osmo UV protection oil on top. Gives a lovely finish and lasts a very long time.

Trevanion":2897as6r said:
£195 for a pair of knackered gates!? That's daylight robbery and then some!

Out of curiosity how much would you charge to make some with the same design ? It might seem expensive but time you allow to buy the materials, then the labour to make them it soon adds up. If someone was looking for a weathered look it wouldn't be a 5 minute job trying to replicate it ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":3avzhayk said:
Out of curiosity how much would you charge to make some with the same design ? It might seem expensive but time you allow to buy the materials, then the labour to make them it soon adds up. If someone was looking for a weathered look it wouldn't be a 5 minute job trying to replicate it ;)

If it's the weathered look you're wanting, Yes it would be more economical to buy the gates secondhand like that.

If it's a brand new looking gate you wanted you're looking around £60 for material, about 4 hours labour @ £15 an hour, £10 for consumables (finishes etc). You'd be talking about £130 a gate, without ironmongery. It's not quite £98 each for the 2 secondhand gates but it's not far off.

Trevanion":3ni6onf5 said:
ColeyS1":3ni6onf5 said:

If it's the weathered look you're wanting, Yes it would be more economical to buy the gates secondhand like that.

If it's a brand new looking gate you wanted you're looking around £60 for material, about 4 hours labour @ £15 an hour, £10 for consumables (finishes etc). You'd be talking about £130 a gate, without ironmongery. It's not quite £98 each for the 2 secondhand gates but it's not far off.

Labour only £15 an hour?

Trevanion":2srw5kxx said:
ColeyS1":2srw5kxx said:

+ vat ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

For my side entrance, 6' 6" gate I used Western Red Cedar for the frame. Cedar cladding was an expensive ask, so I made my own from ordinary floorboards, and routed a bead into the joints. I thought it looked 'more traditional' than the usual; V channel match-boarding. I gave the boards a real good dousing with Rustins. That was fifteen years ago. The frame is fine, but the cladding has reached the stage where rot is setting in. So for appearance sake, at this stage I will just repeat the cladding procedure, and this time use Bedec Barn Paint. I shan't care after that, because it's the government who will be claiming the house! In any case, I suppose it will outlast me. (I think I might also need to replace the lash-up gate I threw together for the other side of the house! Ah the downsides of detached living! ) :lol:

John (hammer)

Latest posts

Back