Welfare Unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking into used Welfare units/cabin for a workshop. I have a large space to play with. They seem relatively cheap to buy and would just need a concrete base I believe. Does anyone have experience or advice?

Most will have a single door. That limits or complicates moving machinery and materials into the workshop.

Floor will only be good for size 10 muddy boots, not the leg of a workbench with half an oak tree on top of it.

Probably, I would have a look at old refrigerated containers, they come in all sizes but obviously most will be articulated truck size. The main benefit is that they are well insulated with double doors.
Ian

you might be able to use pallets of the same height as a base for a usb floor fixed onto them. If you can get a welfare cabin with insulated walls ceiling then put another layer on top I think you have a starter
edit
just googled prices for used units ---- not cheap!

Can they be modified with regards to doors and flooring?

Have a look on Portakabin's website and other people producing similar items. You might find construction details there. That would give you an indication of what is possible. The floor is an easy one to solve - use spreader plates where there will be a point load (or jack up one side of it so it looks like a London bus on a tilt test [https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/photographs/item/2002-18969] and install reinforcement underneath, but this does require knowing where stuff is going in advance).

A lot of welfare (jack leg) cabins are wider than a standard shipping container, which does offer some advantages (hard to turn an 8' piece of plywood in a place which is barely 8' wide).

Since all shipping containers have the same external dimensions, a refridgerated one will have insulation on the inside, making it even narrower.

Latest posts

Back