Tormek Honing Paste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_sw

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I did a demo of my Tormek for sharpening knive's and scissors, all my friends are bringing their's
round for sharpening. I don't mind as I get wine and beers out of it. However, I am getting through
quite a bit of the expensive Tormek Honing Paste and wondered if anybody knows of an alternative or
somewhere I could buy cheaper largers quantities ? Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Sam

Have you tried various grades of metal polish. Bluebell, Brasso etc?
Not tried this myself - just an idea I'll throw in.

Silverline sell a range of polishing compounds in 500gram bars. you will have to mix it up with a bit of oil to get a paste.

If you are doing a lot of work with your Tormek for others, look out for the price of the stones. They will set you back around the cost of a case of wine!!

Bob

PAC1":d64qyyf3 said:
I use Autosol
Which is supplied with the Jet wet stone grinder.

Many years ago I used to rebuild old British bikes and used loads of Autosol, it is worth trying to find a professional shop that uses the stuff. I bought a huge tin for little more than the cost of a few tubes.

I use cutting paste for car paint, you can get different "grits", if you know anyone who sprays cars, chances are they will have some that you could experiment with. I`m using some 3M stuff at the moment that was too abrasive for my mate the paint man.

Also to stop you getting a blank look at the car spares place, Autosol is a brand name. They make many products, so just buying an Autosol product may not get what you are looking for.

I use Solvol Autosol chrome polish as well. IMO it's as good as the honing paste but much cheaper.

John. B

hi there i use astonish it is a paste almost like the tormek and no harmful chemicals it comes a blue plastic conatainer and it costs a £1 give it a try

Back