Timber framing engineering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand the challenge of understanding the maths and physics and constructing accordingly.

However your project is the size of a fairly modest garden shed. Unlike other timber buildings where roof loads, winds pressure, first/second floors, loft access and use, internal fit out, etc are considerations, a bike store is mostly needed simply to keep the contents dry and secure.

At this level they are typically built as separate sides, 2 roof panels and floor. Frame is likely to be 50x75mm at a maximum (25x40 is common) with 10-15mm tongue and groove walls, floorboards and ~12mm OSB roof. Nails not screws dominate the structure!

If erected on a level base and maintained they will last 10+ years. You may find it cheaper to buy the shed rather than separately source the materials.

Sorry to be a bit negative. If the goal is a project you want to do - great. If the end result is just a cycle store - there are easier ways to achieve the end result.
Learning is never wasted surely. @DrDarren - good luck with your studying.
Never know, you might learn enough to build your own (neighbours?) next house!
Please come back with your book list.

[A Timber Framer's Workshop] by Chappell, Steve. Does go into detail with regard to Equations, unsure if valid for for less than 6" timbers.
the follow on book [ADVANCED TIMBER FRAMING: Joinery, Design & Construction of Timber Frame Roof Systems] is much more advanced.

Have fun building it.
Alex.
Follow on book is now £894 at Amazon. Might need to wait a while but I wants it, I wants it.

If the maths floats your boat, there is a classic engineering text:

Roarks Formulas for Stress and Strain pub. McGraw_Hill
Now upto about the 7th ed.

This includes all sorts of formulae for beam deflection under point and distributed loads with fixed and free ends. These don't care if you are working with wood or titanium as long as you can input numbers for the properties of the material.

I think there are pdf's available, certainly for the older editions.

Latest posts

Back