Timber framing engineering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDarren

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to design and build a small 8'x10' timber-framed cycle shed with pent roof. I'm using 4" spruce posts despite having read about the potential for spruce to twist and that timber framing, proper, is defined as joinery in 5" or larger posts. However, since the only person likely to get crowned by a collapsing member is either me or the burglar then I figured I would give it a go as a learning project, armed with a Robert Sorby framing chisel and a roofers square.
My question is actually a request for a book or similar. I have the Solon classic on timber framing as well as a more modern one with coloured pictures for newbs. What I'd really like is to treat myself to a book where I can learn the basic engineering maths for loads etc. I have a PhD in philosophy of education and a-level higher maths so I reckon I can get there if I do enough worked examples...
I await correction and/or recommendations.

I can understand the challenge of understanding the maths and physics and constructing accordingly.

However your project is the size of a fairly modest garden shed. Unlike other timber buildings where roof loads, winds pressure, first/second floors, loft access and use, internal fit out, etc are considerations, a bike store is mostly needed simply to keep the contents dry and secure.

At this level they are typically built as separate sides, 2 roof panels and floor. Frame is likely to be 50x75mm at a maximum (25x40 is common) with 10-15mm tongue and groove walls, floorboards and ~12mm OSB roof. Nails not screws dominate the structure!

If erected on a level base and maintained they will last 10+ years. You may find it cheaper to buy the shed rather than separately source the materials.

Sorry to be a bit negative. If the goal is a project you want to do - great. If the end result is just a cycle store - there are easier ways to achieve the end result.

8'x10' timber-framed cycle shed with pent roof
When you say "cycle shed" is this just for storage or building/maintenance work, changes the dynamic slightly.

With regards books "Timber framing" can be viewed in different ways from simple stud/stick framing for shed/house building, to structural framing as described in your book choice, and to honest the principles are miles apart.

When you say "cycle shed" is this just for storage or building/maintenance work, changes the dynamic slightly.

With regards books "Timber framing" can be viewed in different ways from simple stud/stick framing for shed/house building, to structural framing as described in your book choice, and to honest the principles are miles apart.
Thank you for all the replies so far inc Ed & Terry. I'm doing this for pleasure and for learning. It is replacing a metal meccano shed that stood well for 4 years until the Ayrshire storms blew the ruddy doors off. I don't want to go near stud/stick. My main hobby is furniture making with hand tools. All I see is the flaws but the family value the pieces made for and requested by them. I really fancy making 1.5" M&T joints and have big lumps of wood sit together strongly. It has to keep the rain off the bikes (treated as no more secure than street parking, I'll use Steadyrack bike racks) and store compost, paint, bike repairs kit etc.

Why spruce, why not latch or Douglas fir, I'm sure you can find it locally to you. South of you there are swathes of forest so in sure there are local sawmills.

I'd use oak pins and learn the proper techniques, let me know how you get on as I'm due to make a toilet for a stables in similar style.

I really fancy making 1.5" M&T joints and have big lumps of wood sit together strongly
One of the (many) books I have is by Tedd Benson, but it is all about heavy Oak Framing, there are lots of detailed drawings for joints etc that you could possibly scale down, it also covers elements of structural design: Tedd Benson

Why spruce, why not latch or Douglas fir, I'm sure you can find it locally to you. South of you there are swathes of forest so in sure there are local sawmills.

I'd use oak pins and learn the proper techniques, let me know how you get on as I'm due to make a toilet for a stables in similar style.
I’m Ayrshire and there’s a surprising dearth of sawmills that I know of.

[A Timber Framer's Workshop] by Chappell, Steve. Does go into detail with regard to Equations, unsure if valid for for less than 6" timbers.
the follow on book [ADVANCED TIMBER FRAMING: Joinery, Design & Construction of Timber Frame Roof Systems] is much more advanced.

Have fun building it.
Alex.

I've recently acquired an 8ft square shed for bikes etc. Biggest timbers are ex 2" square, with 4x3/4" boards. This is not timber framing - it just shed building!
4 or 5 inch posts are way over the top - you won't have room for the bikes!
Can post some photos of the shed and details if you would like.
If not sure about design always take a look at the real thing if you can find one. Take a tape measure.

[A Timber Framer's Workshop] by Chappell, Steve. Does go into detail with regard to Equations, unsure if valid for for less than 6" timbers.
the follow on book [ADVANCED TIMBER FRAMING: Joinery, Design & Construction of Timber Frame Roof Systems] is much more advanced.

Have fun building it.
Alex.
Ipupdate: I love the Chappell book. Absolutely awesome and comprehensive of my needs.

Ed, please give back the two hours of my life your link stole...
Easy to lose track of time in there.
I love the joinery library, where you can look at the various joints from all angles. It makes it easier to understand the joints with just quick glance, rather than a long drawn out written explanation that never seems to cover everything.

Back