Thoughts on graphic's software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well looking at software for images, for the 2D technical stuff I use Qcad and no issues here but what about producing images for documentation, yes we have Adobe products but at a price that I no longer want to pay, it is now a monthly cost rather than a one of hit for as long as the product suits you and I have done some odd task using the drawing tools in Excel but it is not efficient and rather clumsy so who is using what if anything ? I am not looking at full blown technical drawings but rather an image that is representative.

Well looking at software for images, for the 2D technical stuff I use Qcad and no issues here but what about producing images for documentation, yes we have Adobe products but at a price that I no longer want to pay, it is now a monthly cost rather than a one of hit for as long as the product suits you and I have done some odd task using the drawing tools in Excel but it is not efficient and rather clumsy so who is using what if anything ? I am not looking at full blown technical drawings but rather an image that is representative.
It may not fit your requirements Roy but I use the free personal version of Autodesk Fusion 360 for drawing images ready for slice conversion to use on my 3D printer. It's cloud based and limited to 10 projects at any one time but you just download then to your computer and delete from the cloud. Not difficult if you're used to drawing in cad.

You need to search for the free home use version as naturally they would rather sell you a commercial version but it is available, no pestering or adverts.

Here's an example of something I have at the minute though not my design. You an moe the solid images through any plane or angle.

Attachments

• fusion 360.png
    fusion 360.png
    869.8 KB · Views: 0
It’s not quite clear what you’re looking for. ‘Images for documentation’ could easily be drawn with a vector package like AutoCAD or QCAD, if you require line drawings. If you need to edit photos or create graphics you might use something from the Adobe suite, or equivalent. If it’s a Photoshop type package you’re looking for I can’t fault Affinity Photo myself, permanent licence and not too expensive.

Another one for Inkscape for free CAD or vector drawings although Krita and Gimp are two other free vector-type programs more suited to artistic graphic production. Libre Office for a free Microsoft Office replacement. Scribus for a free illustration documents program. Xodo for a free or paid PDF editor. You can also produce dimensioned PDF drawings in the Fusion 360 free version. Just print to PDF instead of your printer. For photographs, I use the yearly subscription version of Zoner Photo Studio X but Affinity Photo is a good alternative and as Torx says it's a one-off payment for a permanent license.

It’s not quite clear what you’re looking for. ‘Images for documentation’ could easily be drawn with a vector package like AutoCAD or QCAD
I will try and add some direction, an example is a schematic for a circuit done in Icap that can be both simulated and also into a PCB layout tool but what I want for documentation is just something to show the circuit as a drawing. I suppose the closest thing I use at the moment iare the drawing tools in microsofts Word / Excel packages so something like this but with better presentation, ie color fill etc.

I have used various vector graphics software over the years, but to avoid the apparently inevitable subscription model, I moved to Affinity Designer as a one-time purchase. Last year I paid to upgrade to Designer 2, at a reasonable cost. Recently, Serif introduced a six-month free trial! That will presumably include their photo and publisher apps as well as Designer. Give it a try - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/trial/

Have a look at this

https://www.techsoft.co.uk/products/software/techsoft-design-v3

I’m pretty sure a free demo will be available.

Paid for, but permanent (if you choose that option). Simple to use as it’s designed for schools, but as capable as AutoCAD if you delve in, and a lot of graphical capability that other packages lack as it’s designed to be an all-rounder. I use this for any quick representative drawings as well as any detailed technical drawings (for instance, my entire house down to the nearest cm or so).

If you buy it, I’ll stick my neck out and offer you any help you need with it, maybe a TeamViewer training session or something. I used to train teachers on the software and know it very well.

I’ll try to post up some examples later.

There is a free one called design spark provided by rs online. It is good for electrical stuff and I think you can use their component library. I use Fusion 360 but my mate uses design spark for electric stuff and 3d printing.

+1 for Designspark though I only use the DS Mechanical for 3D modelling prior to printing.
For schematics and layout I use KCAD (I think that's correct - not at PC at the mo)
For 2D stuff I use LibreCAD.
I don't think you can draw a set of 2D drawings and transform them to 3D and I find LibreCAD more versatile for 2D.
Have fun
Martin

Well thanks for all the input, looks like I need to spend some time with the demo from Techsoft as that looks good , maybe Smartdraw and also Affinity Designer.

Back