This weeks carboot finds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
planes 028.jpg
planes 027.jpg
Sparse pickings this weekend due to torrential overnight rain,then again 50pence for the Coffin Plane and carbooter gave me the Brades hammer for free!!. (said he was gobsmacked someone actually wanted to buy it)
Although obvious repair to Plane its cleaned up nicely and has a decent blade length, can anyone help with makers mark, is it Ward? . Looks like crossed hammers over an Anvil.

If jimi43 or Andyt read this i uploaded the 15 for £5 planes in my other topic,your comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• planes 027.jpg
    planes 027.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 182
  • planes 028.jpg
    planes 028.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 182
  • planes 031.jpg
    planes 031.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 182
  • planes 032.jpg
    planes 032.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 182
  • planes 033.jpg
    planes 033.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 182
Its a Ward, as in Ward and Payne, and is a good iron.
They don't make 'em like that anymore :roll:

Seriously though, I have quite a lot of W + P stuff and it's all very good. Their chisels are fantastic, and the steel takes and holds a fabulous edge. I don't think I have got one duff W + P tool. I have raped an old coffin smoother for the blade and altered a stanley/record (can't remember which) to allow it to fit. This involved opening the mouth slightly and extending the metal part that engages in the chip-breaker to allow control of depth of cut (which was the hardest part). Now it is done the plane (a 4 1/2) is by far the best smoother I have (compared to Bedrocks, woodies and LN #4). I also put a samurai blade, from Axminster, into a #5 and that is great too, but not as good as the bailey with the old, thick iron.

So, food for thought, bearing in mind the damage to the coffin smoother might it be opportune to try a little upgrade?

Hope this helps

Neil

Thanks for the information Neil,i am very new to the 'slippery slope' and learning all the time.
As it was only 50p i took a chance that the iron would be of use, result!. The plane actually cleaned up fairley well so i will keep the iron as a spare and the body can be a shed ornament :)

Steve

mancsteve1":uum6ifpm said:
50pence for the Coffin Plane and carbooter gave me the Brades hammer for free!!.

file.php

The chamfering and shaping on that head is nicely done. I love hammers like that.

BugBear (with thanks to CHJ for the image linking tip)

Hi Steve

Sorry for delay in replying but been busy with ALFIE cleaning off Chinese gunk!!

Ward (and Payne) are very fine steel makers indeed! They were huge in Sheffield then...and outsourced a lot of their work to the other small makers...but they only gave their stamp if it came up to their quality assurance...and chucked anything that didn't!!!

The edge on these irons up there with the best...well worth what you paid with it without including the hammer or event the scrap value of the brass!

I would be tempted to sharpen that iron and use that in the old coffin smoother...I bet it is a really nice user...the owner obviously thought it was!!

The hammer is a little beauty! I have one just like that and I use it all the time! They are most useful when delicate work is necessary. I use it for peining small brass shafts...you can get real control!

Will look for the other thread....trying to play catch-up with all things UKW at the moment...semi-retirement is keeping me rather busy! :mrgreen:

Jim

Latest posts

Back