The things you find out....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
"Whatcha doin?"
My son had just turned up, and asked the question. There was an odd smirk on his face, as if he considered that his old man had gone a bit weird...
"What's it look like I'm doing?! I'm polishing my shoes..."
Turned out that he'd never polished any footware. In his entire life, he'd never even considered it.
Yes, he has some leather shoes. "I don't wear trainers all the time!"
"How do you clean them, then?"
"With a duster, if I have to!"
"And polish?"
Transpired he'd never even seen a tin before....
In the ensuing conversation, I also found out that he'd never actually read a book since leaving school. The odd snippet from a computer manual, but a book, fact or fiction, from start to finish?
No.
It's no wonder he can't spell...

By the way, he's 40 today.
No longer a surly teenager, but definitely a different generation....

Unbelievable and incredible, but that’s how it is now I suppose. Really enjoy a good book, so engrossing.
Black shoe polish is great on ebonised wood btw.

One of my nephews sent me a birthday card the other week.
Good kid, recently graduated university with a 2.1
His handwriting looked like a 6 year old had written the card !

My dad used to have the most beautiful handwriting. Mines unreadable to anyone but me, dint of taking copious handwritten notes for decades. Times change.

Polishing shoes is something I have just taught my 12yr old, he's at big school and has shoes that need polishing. He liked lighting the polish on fire but the rest of it was really hard work......

At 49 chores that I strangely enjoy:
- Polishing nice shoes
- Mowing the lawn with a well sharpened push mower
- Ironing a shirt
- Cleaning windows

Which now I think about all have a visually satisfying aspect at the end of them.

Polishing shoes is something I have just taught my 12yr old, he's at big school and has shoes that need polishing. He liked lighting the polish on fire but the rest of it was really hard work......

- Polishing nice shoes
- Ironing a shirt
- Cleaning windows

Which now I think about all have a visually satisfying aspect at the end of them.
If you are ever short of satisfaction........ I have shirts and windows, please feel free to ask.

- Polishing nice shoes
- Ironing a shirt
- Cleaning windows

I suppose that's true here, the one that came to mind for me was polishing brass.

As for polishing shoes I don't actually hate it but just don't get around to it. Eventually I figured it out - when the shoes are brand new polish them every day for the first few days followed by every other day for the next couple of weeks. Use polish you have lit and is still runny so that it can really penetrate into the leather. It seems the vast majority of the issues that develop have their origins in the first few weeks as you break them in and crease the leather in use. If you get a good coating of polish into the surface cracks as they are still tiny they hardly need polishing after the breaking in period.

Unbelievable and incredible, but that’s how it is now I suppose.

I forget where I heard it, but someone had a 3.5 inch floppy disc on their desk and their child walked up, saw it and said

"ah cool!! You've 3D printed the save icon!"...........

My child thinks it's crazy that there was a time when you only knew what your friends were up to once you had walked to their house on the off chance they were "allowed to come out and play".

Back