The new hammer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a blue handled Estwing in an expensive suburban hardware shop in Auckland in 1998 - it was a third of the price we were paying for them. I also found a Marples chisel for the equivalent of £12 that was £17.50p here (I knew this because someone got hauled acrosss the coals for booking one out the week before we went.)

I didn't get on with what I called the wrecking hammer - the glass fibre handled framing hammer, but I have one of these, it's excellent. Designed by Estwing, it's Taiwanese. I like the square front.
https://www.toolstation.com/estwing-sure-strike-claw-hammer/p42077

Our joiner was working over water when we were setting up a boat exhibition. He didn’t rope his favourite estwing onto his belt. Turns out those hammers don’t float very well (and the harbour authorities have a big problem with people going for a swim )…

Is a hammer missing the nail a manufacturing defect? Just asking...........
Now I’m not saying that you’re the one of course! Also I might be telling you how to suck eggs - sorry, but a lot of people have a problem with hammers because the face isn’t polished on a bit of sandpaper and this causes the hammer to skid off, the problem with most hammers is that they are really neglected with paint and dirt etc, only takes seconds and the difference is striking ( see what I did there lol).
Ian

I was taught at 11 or 12 years old to always give the face of a hammer a wipe with a piece of used abrasive before use.
Exactly so. Boat builders know this well due to their propensity for whacking silicon bronze ring nails into gluey bits of timber. Those nails bend at the best of times and glue on the hammer head makes sure that they will.

A couple of years ago i found one of the weight forward Estwings in a local hardware shop, priced as its original price of £29.99.
Being an Ebayer I knew these are extremely sought after and popped it on my ebay page for £120 buy it now.
It sold literally an hour after listing it.

Any time im in a small hardware store I keep my eyes open in case I spot another.
Thing about these small shops is they get things like this that then sit on the shelf for years unsold. If you keep your eyes open, be surprised what they have gathering dust..

I'm sure out there somewhere, probably in some small village, theres a new Stanley No51 and No52 shooting board and plane with my name on them
Hmm..might have to see if I can find my weight forward. I've got a few estwings..one of which has pat pending (as Phil mentioned). The weight forward looks really cool..like a hammer and and a climbing axe had a weird offspring. But as Doug mentioned, I found it horrible to use and it really punished you for glancing blows....evil, evil thing but if it's worth something..

The other option is the milled face Estwing. Limited I think to the framing version.
Not seen one for yonks, but this thread brought that feature to mind.
(might actually be called 'waffle' faced)

Thus.
71fmGSv9mjL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

I've used metal shafted Estwings for years, bought my first one about 35 years ago, expensive at the time but it was the hammer to be seen with so had to get one. I initially got a 16oz leather handled but soon added a couple of heavier rubber handled ones to the collection. I used them daily until the middle of last year when my recurring tennis elbow stopped recurring and became constant. I was advised to try a wooden handled hammer and found I actually prefer them, I don't think the wooden handles would survive the abuse that the Estwings used to get on site but my work rate is a bit more sedate these days. Could be coincidence but the tennis elbow has been much better.
Estwings were actually banned by the Workman's Compensation Board out here at one time, or so I've been told by older fellows. It was felt they transmitted too much shock to the hand and arm of the user. Not sure if fibreglass handles got the same treatment. I use one of their old leather handled hatchets to split my kindling though. :)

The 2 estwings I use most are an old (early 80's) 24oz curved claw (not the 24oz framing hammer) and a 20oz from around 2012.

To be honest, the 24oz is too heavy and the blue handle material is absolutely rock hard so you really feel every impact. I only keep/use it because my dad gave it me when I started my apprenticeship. The more modern handle is noticeably 'spongier' and just way nicer to use.
I did briefly have a leather hammer one, mainly because when they are new they look ace, but found the coating on the leather a bit slippy.
In hindsight, I should have keep that as I recently used a really old one where the coating had gone and the leather had gone black (and softened up) and it was pretty nice.

I’ve got over 30 hammers but only two or three are claw hammers, I rarely use one. If I did, I might have a look at one of those snazzy Titanium jobs?! 😆
Still on my list is a traditional Japanese Hammer, not sure what weight though. Any suggestions?

Estwings were actually banned by the Workman's Compensation Board out here at one time, or so I've been told by older fellows. It was felt they transmitted too much shock to the hand and arm of the user. Not sure if fibreglass handles got the same treatment. I use one of their old leather handled hatchets to split my kindling though. :)

When I was looking for a new arm friendly hammer I did come across the term "Estwing elbow" a few times.

The 2 estwings I use most are an old (early 80's) 24oz curved claw (not the 24oz framing hammer) and a 20oz from around 2012.

To be honest, the 24oz is too heavy and the blue handle material is absolutely rock hard so you really feel every impact. I only keep/use it because my dad gave it me when I started my apprenticeship. The more modern handle is noticeably 'spongier' and just way nicer to use.
I did briefly have a leather hammer one, mainly because when they are new they look ace, but found the coating on the leather a bit slippy.
In hindsight, I should have keep that as I recently used a really old one where the coating had gone and the leather had gone black (and softened up) and it was pretty nice.

The rubber grip on my Estwing was rock hard and also worn down so was quite skinny with no shape, it did start to feel like you were just hitting things with a metal bar.

Here it is compared to an older one I have which hasn't had much use as it's too heavy, didn't realise the colour difference.

Estwings.jpg

Latest posts

Back