Temporary fix to rotten door frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all this orrible weather a part of paint has fallen off my front door frame. When I prodded the crappy looking wood behind it, i realised that part of the frame is rotten. Here's a pic:

doorframe.jpg

I don't have enough time (either timewise or weather wise) to do a proper repair on it (i.e. remove the rotten wood, replace with new wood and paint). So I need to put some kind of coating on it to fix it up till the weather is better and I've got the time to repair it.

Any ideas of something I can cover it with? Some kind of silicon weatherproof covering? Filler?

Attachments

• doorframe.jpg
    doorframe.jpg
    128.8 KB
May be better leaving it as is so that the moisture can escape when its not raining - sealing it up will just trap what ever moisture is in the wood .

Just a thought im no expert on it......

Frame sealant or decorators caulk will probably be best and just fill it in you're gap and when set would take a lick of paint to look tidy until wheather permits a longer term solution.
Silicon is not such a good idea as it rejects all other materials, so, should you at a later date decide to repair, it may well be a pain to repair or repaint.
Obviously, The problem is damp constantly present where the frame sits in the brickwork. and the damp is ever present.
A good idea to use dpc around lower half of the frame after priming and undercoating all round, should you replace the frame sometime.
HTH Regards Rodders

I agree with Tool-me-up on this. Filler won't have any strength and won't stop the rot that you have.

Last time I did a patching job like that, I did think afterwards it would have been quicker and easier to take out the whole length and replace it, rather than spending time blending the shapes of old and new.

AndyT":167lrhv7 said:
I agree with Tool-me-up on this. Filler won't have any strength and won't stop the rot that you have.

Last time I did a patching job like that, I did think afterwards it would have been quicker and easier to take out the whole length and replace it, rather than spending time blending the shapes of old and new.
I would agree as it looks like iy has already been spliced from the way the lower peeling paint is going diagonally upwards towards the bricks. Also i may be wrong but it also looks like the frame sits into the brickwork rather than flush with it.

carlb40":20a06x6i said:
AndyT":20a06x6i said:

I would agree as it looks like iy has already been spliced from the way the lower peeling paint is going diagonally upwards towards the bricks. Also i may be wrong but it also looks like the frame sits into the brickwork rather than flush with it.

The brickwork, presented like that is called "Cloaking" when seen around the window/door frame, around here.
This is why they rot, 'cos the frame is sat in the wet/damp cavity, and unprotected. Regards Rodders

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that it's been replaced before. I'm just looking at stopping it from getting worse over the next month or so. I'm not trying to make it look nice, just a quick cover up for a month or so.

I've got some decorators caulk, so I'll whack that in just for now.

Once there's a nice dry weekend, I'll cut it out and replace it properly.

morfa":2gtd9k6c said:
Yeah, I'm fairly sure that it's been replaced before. I'm just looking at stopping it from getting worse over the next month or so. I'm not trying to make it look nice, just a quick cover up for a month or so.

When you do it, make sure you seal the back/ bottom and not just with undercoat as that will still allow moisture in. Gloss/ varnish etc will be better. :)

carlb40":6z3vd29e said:
morfa":6z3vd29e said:

When you do it, make sure you seal the back/ bottom and not just with undercoat as that will still allow moisture in. Gloss/ varnish etc will be better. :)

I was thinking about wrapping it in some kind of plastic/membrane. Would that do? But yeah, I was going to soak the wood in anti-rot treatment etc before putting it in. Then lots of paint. The wife wants it re-painted anyway.

you can buy wood hardener that is designed to harden up rotting wood, it's a very liquid resin that helps to expel water, you can drill small holes around the rotten area and inject it with a large bore syringe, be generous with it. Do it early in the day when its going to stay dry, after a few hours, longer the better, you can either go the caulk route and cut it out later, or use car body filler to fill it up, then prime over it.

I've had some experience of doing this for even very badly rotted wood: http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Rafeze ... %20repairs

Back