Framed mkdular cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Making panels for some cabinet box I'm trying to make which will be a removable floor standing cupboard to fit in a recess in the house but can be moved around, recess to recess to allow changing room uses etc in future
20241005_165506.jpg

Have made the frame and panels and just now have to create a stopped groove in each of the outfacing frame peices aside the front and top which both have added function
20241005_170339.jpg
I'm a bit stuck as to the best way to run a stopped groove to allow panel to be inset and glued to each of the sides of the cabinet (aside the front and top which each have additional function than just a panel )

Currently done two shorter end peices using a chisel registered against a straight edge to make a deep score, a saw to mark the stops, then a bull nose (for middle) and chisel (for edging and removal by splinter on sprightly grained peices) then my router plane.
20241006_153256.jpg

It's a lot of work and risk and I just wondered if this was the best way with hand tools

Thanks! 😆

It's a bit difficult to understand your methodology from the info provided.
I assume from the drawing you are making a cabinet which consists of 3 box frame structures.
In the 2nd photo it looks as though you have completed one box frame. Is it all glued up and finished?
I assume also that you want to infill all sides with panels, one of which is shown in the the photo. Why does it have chamfered corners?
The 3rd photo shows a mystery item in your vice. Is this intended to be part of a panel fixing arrangement?
What is the 'added function' you mention?
Some further explanation of how it all comes together would be useful before attemping to give advice.
Brian

20241006_174255.jpg
Just to add : Have found just today a quicker way to use router plane to multilply plunge into waste material and set a bunch of depth limit bites and also allow easier chisel work
It's a heavy router plane
17282331126327635178034079909188.jpg

It's a bit difficult to understand your methodology from the info provided.
I assume from the drawing you are making a cabinet which consists of 3 box frame structures.
In the 2nd photo it looks as though you have completed one box frame. Is it all glued up and finished?
I assume also that you want to infill all sides with panels, one of which is shown in the the photo. Why does it have chamfered corners?
The 3rd photo shows a mystery item in your vice. Is this intended to be part of a panel fixing arrangement?
What is the 'added function' you mention?
Some further explanation of how it all comes together would be useful before attemping to give advice.
Brian
Sorry Brian just to make it clear I didn't really have a build plan, the retrospective fitment of panels as opposed to having an open frame has meant the easiest way to groove.into a completed frame would be with a stop and then mitres panels

there will be four small triangles gaps at each corner and i thought that might be opportunity as to allow for access with wires or hangers and allow removal of the panel for e.g clear panel or a screen to be seen

Attachments

• 20241006_174255.jpg
    20241006_174255.jpg
    1 MB
Back