Table saw blade loud whistling / ringing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbra

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a second hand Kity 1619 table saw and it has always made a very loud whistling / ringing noise, presumably from the blade vibrating. I’ve only ever used cheaper end blades without stress relief. Before I go out and spend around £70 on something like a Freud blade, does anyone have any experience of this? Could it be anything to do with bearings/arbor etc?

Thanks.

I have no real experience on this issue but logic dictates that I’d remove the blade and the securing bolt etc and simply run the saw without the blade . If there is no noise without the blade you have your answer . lots of members have this brand of saw so see what other advice you get from actual users but this is how I’d approach it ..

I have no real experience on this issue but logic dictates that I’d remove the blade and the securing bolt etc and simply run the saw without the blade . If there is no noise without the blade you have your answer . lots of members have this brand of saw so see what other advice you get from actual users but this is how I’d approach it ..
Thanks for the reply, yes I have tried this and it runs fine without any unusual noises. I was wondering whether the extra inertia of the blade might affect the bearings etc. though.

I would say it’s not impossible but again there is only one way to confirm it . The next thing to do is buy a suitable blade from Toolstation and open the package carefully-try it but don’t cut any timber . If all is fine and no noise then you’re good to go. If there is noise then you can return the blade to Toolstation unused saying it doesn’t fit . And investigate possible bearing issues. Tbh although I’m no expert in this area it sounds like high frequency noise and the lack of expansion slots in your existing blade could be the answer and or is there any damage to the blade - missing or damaged teeth.. welcome to ukw by the way ..

I would say it’s not impossible but again there is only one way to confirm it . The next thing to do is buy a suitable blade from Toolstation and open the package carefully-try it but don’t cut any timber . If all is fine and no noise then you’re good to go. If there is noise then you can return the blade to Toolstation unused saying it doesn’t fit . And investigate possible bearing issues. Tbh although I’m no expert in this area it sounds like high frequency noise and the lack of expansion slots in your existing blade could be the answer and or is there any damage to the blade - missing or damaged teeth.. welcome to ukw by the way

I would say it’s not impossible but again there is only one way to confirm it . The next thing to do is buy a suitable blade from Toolstation and open the package carefully-try it but don’t cut any timber . If all is fine and no noise then you’re good to go. If there is noise then you can return the blade to Toolstation unused saying it doesn’t fit . And investigate possible bearing issues. Tbh although I’m no expert in this area it sounds like high frequency noise and the lack of expansion slots in your existing blade could be the answer and or is there any damage to the blade - missing or damaged teeth.. welcome to ukw by the way ..
Good thinking re: carefully trying a new blade. Will do that.

Reverse the blade on the arbor and spin it up. The wind is passing the teeth in the opposite direction and it might play a different tune.

Glue a disk of paper to each side of the blade (pritt stick). See if that has any dampening effect.

You know it is only whistling because it has forgotten the words. Cut up a lyric sheet to refresh its memory.

I would be willing to bet it's the blade. I have a very old Ferm mitre saw. It only likes solid blades, put one in that has holes or cut outs in the blade and it howls like a good un. Something to do with airflow I am guessing.

An update. I reversed the blade and there is no whistling/ringing at all, so it must be either the teeth on their own or the teeth making it vibrate. When it stops the blade is literally still ringing for a couple of seconds.
Worth trying a blade with stress relief cuts in it I think.

Thanks all.

All circular saw/saw blades will make a noise but teeth size and count has a very significant effect. If I had a 96 tooth fine cross cut fitted my 12 inch panel saw is very quiet. Fit a 24 tooth ripping blade and it is totally different, I would also say that good quality blades like OMAs or CMT are much better. I own a 12 inch toolzone which I use for any questionable material and it makes an absolute racket

Back