Stove Flue Repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
With winter fast approaching, I decides to check out the workshop stove and flue. Only to discover that the wind cowl was lodged in a nearby hedge, and the section that acted as the chimney had corroded through at the seam. With both parts beyond repair, I decided to replace them along with a silicone flashing for the corrugated roof.

Although the main flue is 100mm black yitreous, I decided to replace the end section with stainless where it exits through the roof and above. The only problem was jointing the one to the other, Firstly , the existing flue had a smaller base that was squashed to fit into a 100mm Dia top. All the flue presently available ( including the stainless versions ) had a swaged out top that took a 100mm Dia. base. I overcame this by purchasing a female to female connector. Though my initial research had told me that 100mm Dia. flue was in fact the outside diameter, this was not the case - the existing flue being marginally wider. This was overcome by swaging out one end of the connector, by repeatedly heating and hammering it on the beak of my anvil. Two hours later , and with my ears still ringing, I'd managed to open it up enough to fit over the old flue.

That was the only real hiccup, I was slowed down a bit trying to remove the old silicone sealant off the roof, But from hereon in it was pretty plain sailing to put everything together with high temperature silicone for the flue and neutral cure silicone for the flashing, The wind cowl is held in with s screw so that it can be removed for sweeping, which I do from above by dropping a rope down and pulling a brush through the flue.

I tested it out the next day with a good fire in the stove, so, fingers crossed, all will be well for keeping things cozy in the workshop this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_4284_1en.jpg
    IMG_4284_1en.jpg
    3.1 MB
  • IMG_4277_1en.jpg
    IMG_4277_1en.jpg
    2.7 MB
  • IMG_4278_1en.jpg
    IMG_4278_1en.jpg
    2.8 MB
  • IMG_4280_1en.jpg
    IMG_4280_1en.jpg