Startrite t30 Spindle moulder 240v advice please :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was worth more than he was asking, it was incredible cheap for what he was offering. About the same price as a decent router lift😂😂
Oh well, there is always another machine, patience is the key and a sharp eye on the usually places.

It was worth more than he was asking, it was incredible cheap for what he was offering. About the same price as a decent router lift😂😂
Oh well, there is always another machine, patience is the key and a sharp eye on the usually places.
I know… but I have to justify this to my good lady. She’s not always patient 😂

Should be a good spindle. Well done.
When I get chance I’ll take a pic of the three blocks I got with it, and you can maybe advise which I might need to bin or keep ! One is CMT. Oh I am taken with orange lol.
Machine had very little use from new, sat in the chaps workshop since 90s maybe ?
Tenon/sliding table assy is included

Looks good, even has a height readout, and speed selection, I have a smaller scheppach version, which has served me well for small moulding work because the aperture is quite small so limited in block diameters that I can use:

spindle.jpg

There is just one block you should keep, the other two you should get rid of / sell. The orange CMT block can’t take limiters, so, you should get rid of it. The same is true of the block with 4 holes on top of it, I think it’s the Omas block (it can take cutters in the side of the block)

The block to keep is the one with two wedges (93x40x30) with it, that is a modern safety block and should be used with cutters and limiters. It’s used to make profiles.

I would also, if it were me, buy new cutters for the sets of cutters and limiters you have. They are cheap to replace circa £12 a set, and chances are the ones that came with it could be blunt. A blunt cutter is a dangerous cutter. Once you are familiar with the machine / use, then you can have another look / try of the cutters you have that cane with it.
The limiters are all good and don’t throw them away. They look to be standard 40mm profiles.

Thanks Deema. I was curious why a modern cutter should be without the limiters. Seems odd for a product of this century. Limiters are for novices then.
Or just inherently safer.

It seems I still have a lot to learn. I’m not firing this up with the aim of cutting anything until I know more about how to use it . I’m gonna start with simple and safe test cuts.
I witnessed it running, noisy at 9k rpm, but then it’s a sound box lol, especially with the plastic door. So I’m thinking of ways I can make it all a bit more rigid and less of a drum.

Last edited:
I’ve got three or four of these, which I’m guessing are as safe as a block with limiter. As you say, so long as they are sharp. Although I’ve just realised this would be safer if it had more cutters instead of just two .. right ?

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    3.4 MB
Last edited:
Am I right in saying the three hole cutters/limiters are not compatible with whitehill ?
Is there a standard cutter retention system, ‘euro’, and would I be wise to stick with one instead of having mixed maybe ?
I’m a good overthinker apologies 😂

Latest posts

Back