• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Stanley Bailey 5 1/2 Rear Handle Base Screw Wanted (Dead or Alive)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSteve

New(ish) to this woodwork malarkey.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello I have acquired a Stanley Bailey 5 1/2 (Made In USA) plane from a car boot, the Rear Handle Base Screw is missing, if anyone had a spare that they would like to sell me or knows of a place where I can find such an item, please let me know.
Thanks
Steve NOW SOURCED VIA EBAY - Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:
A little confused, do you mean the long bar with a thread on each end that goes all the way through the rear handle and then there’s a brass slot head nut that screws onto it, fairly sure that any such bolt/nut from most Stanley planes will fit but never tried swapping them around.
Ian

A little confused, do you mean the long bar with a thread on each end that goes all the way through the rear handle and then there’s a brass slot head nut that screws onto it, fairly sure that any such bolt/nut from most Stanley planes will fit but never tried swapping them around.
Ian
Hi Cabinetman, the rear handle has what you describe but also at the base, in front of the raised part of the handle, bit still through the woooden handle is what I can only assume is a small screw.

If it’s the small screw for tote handle a frog screw will work could send you one
Apologies for delayed response. The handle at the rear has a bar threaded at both ends with a brass cross head nut that screws on to it. In front of that, still within the wooden handle at the base is a hole, for which i can only assume a screw was once fitted in to the base. Without it the rear handle pivots. Does that make sense?

Well that’s a new one on me, sorry can’t help you. Yes it does make sense.
Screenshot_20240815_231044_Google.jpg
Its part 15 in the attached, smaller planes don't have it.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find that the thread size is a long since non-standard 7/23" 20 TPI Whitworth, as is the handle and knob bolt:

Ref No. on DiagramName of PartSize
1Lever Cap Screw9/32- 24Tpi American/unified form
2Cap Iron Screw5/16"- 18Tpi BSW
3Brass Adjusting Nut Left Hand Thread9/32"- 24Tpi American/Unified form
4Frog Screws7/32" WHIT. TYPE 20Tpi
5Frog Adjusting Screw¼"- 24Tpi American/Unified form
6Handle Toe Screw7/32"-20 tpi Whitworth Form
7Handle and Knob Bolt7/32- 20Tpi Whitworth Form

There have been other forum threads on this topic, and one suggestion was that 1/4"BSW, having 20tpi, is effectively an oversize for the 7/32" 20tpi Stanley thread - so you can simply tap out the hole oversize, and fit a BSW thread in it's place. See:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/replacement-tote-screw-for-stanley-no-4.86223/

https://www.tttg.org.au/Content/Stanley Planes and Screw Threads - Part 2.pdf

Hope that might help a bit.

David.

Latest posts

Back