Staining wood for intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have now made 2 intarsia projects from the Kathy Wise book Intarsia woodworking for beginners.

I am not sure if any of you are familiar with this but she has several projects in there with very white wood that I think she gets by staining poplar. Also there is a great project with nice eating a very yellow noggin of cheese. She uses yellowheart for this.

Yellowheart seems impossible to find which leads to my question. How would you stain wood to get very coloured effects and still retain the grain effect?

I got a good orange on one using a water based stain for paper crafting and it took very well. Just not sure about getting such a solid yellow and white without them looking mucky or inconsistent in colour.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Holly should be very white. Could you oil some as which will give a yellow straw colour.

You can buy white wood stain I have been using it for years but I recently run out and found that using a greatly diluted
White emulsion works just as well, as for yellow I use water colour crayons which are really good to control depth of colour

John

Maple and lime can be very white. I have quite a bit here but I tend to darken it with polish for the things I make.

Sorry meant to post these for info

These are done with diluted emulsion and crayons --- picture not too good but shows the basic idea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,569
If I need to get a certain colour I use food colouring for white I use poplar or maple the yellow and red pieces on this piece is food colouring

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,544
I've used cheap felt pens from Poundland to colour bits & pieces. You can then teak oil over the colour with no problems (ymmv).

Latest posts

Back