Spraying Clear Gloss Lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
New to spraying--hence questions.

I want to spray clear gloss lacquer onto a painted wooden surface that will be used--in this case a banjo wooden back. (Known as a 'Resonator'.)

a) How many coats of lacquer before it is lightly sanded before applying the next coat?
b) Time between coats?
c) Use wet & dry paper ? Grit? Use the paper wet or dry?
d) Any other advice welcome.

Look forward to your answers.
Many thanks.

I built an electric guitar and sprayed it with clear cellulose lacquer direct onto the mahogany body. If you have any end grain though you may want to look at pore filling. I used CA glue as it dries very clear and prevents the lacquer dimpling into the pores.

I can't quite remember what i did but I normally do a few coats and then flat it down with 1200 grit wet and dry with water/soap. You have to make sure that there is enough lacquer on though that no wood is exposed as it will absorb water if you try and wet sand it.

With Celly I can normally flat back in 15mins or so but will depend on air temp and humidity. If it's water based paint it will take much longer to dry, although I've never used it.

You have to be really careful not to leave any of the sanded lacquer behind as it can leave white marks which you'll then seal over and won't be able to remove.

The method is always the same. Precat is much better than cellulose and acid cat/pu is the best. One coat. Allow to dry denib with 240. Strongly unless it's stained. Clean then another coat. Dry then another coat. It shouldn't need nibbing after the first coat(hence why the first coat can be compatable sanding sealer)

Be careful spraying cellulose over existing paint, it can disagree with many other paint types and basically strip it.
It's not actually very good anyway in many respects, loses shine and yellows with time and UV. About the only advantage is it cures very quickly.
And to remove any fine stuff from the surface use tac cloths.

Back