spare blade for stanley no 8 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanos999

Established Member
Reaction score
just bought a stanley no8 i would like to use a new blade in it as opposed to using the original blade that is with it any one no where i can get a replacement blade for it ?

eBay or look at a modern replacement like Hock, although as I understand it, you might need to file the mouth wider to accomodate a thicker Hock blade.

What's wrong with the original?

eBay or look at a modern replacement like Hock, although as I understand it, you might need to file the mouth wider to accomodate a thicker Hock blade.

dont want to use the original blade prefer to use a new one in a plane thats 120 years old

I used a Ray Iles iron for my No 7 as it comes in a 2mm and 3mm thick version. They do an iron for a number 8 but I’m not sure on the thickness. The 2mm iron was still too thick and the mouth had to be filed a little.

Up vote for Hock blades, but also their chip breakers. Use them in the two planes I use the most (3 & 5) and am very pleased with the way the planes now cut. I have a Ray Iles blade in my No. 4 and that is nice too, but I'm planning to put a Hock chip breaker in that too.

My No. 8 came with a Lie-Nielsen blade but if I'm honest I don't use the No. 8 often enough to pass judgement on the blade quality.

Last edited:
Up vote for Hock blades, but also their chip breakers. Use them in the two planes I use the most (3 & 5) and am very pleased with the way the planes now cut. I have a Ray Iles blade in my No. 4 and that is nice too, but I'm planning to put a Hock chip breaker in that too.

My No. 8 came with a Lie-Nielsen blade but if I'm honest I don't use the No. 8 often enough to pass judgement on the blade quality.
Agree, I also have a hock iron and chip breaker in my no 3 and I’m really happy with it. I used the Ray Iles as it was thinner and I hadn’t filed a plane mouth before. My no 7 was pretty old and I didn’t want to make a mistake on it! If I was doing it again now I would probably go for the Hocks.

my stanley no8 has arrived in the post it definatly needs a new blade and cap iron there is about 10mm of metal left between front of blade and hole where the cap iron fits plus its rusty and pitted badly the body and frog are in good condition im trying to date it ive looked here https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanley-hand-plane-age-type-study/ and here http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm i think its a no8 1899 to 1902 but im stile not sure unless of corse its a frankenstien plan made from various other planes

A well used iron is usually a sign of a well used plane which normally means it works well for its intended purpose.
Any of the brands mentioned would work well.

Back