Slow Speed Bench Grinders in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been using a standard bench grinder, to sharpen my turning tools, but am aware that a slow speed one would be better suited, especially given that I am using CBN wheels.

Given that they are popular across the big pond with even budget models available, why are they are rare as hens teeth over here in the UK.

Sofar only found two and of those two only one is small enough for my little workshop.

Other than those two, which are from Hope Wood turning and Axminster anyone know of any other makes available over here.

And why did they not catch on over here ?

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul

Our 60 cycle motors are 3460 and 1730 RPM give or take and your 50 cycle is 2800 and 1400 RPM give or take. That puts your high speed right in the middle of ours. Doesn't really scream get a slower grinder unless you have a 10" or bigger wheel, which would be extreamy rare in a home shop. That's my theory anyway.

Pete

Hi Paul

I have this one ...

https://www.axminstertools.com/glob...7671?queryID=8d40843745683b5ea5288687dd2eeebe

It has been in use for over a decade without missing a beat. And nice and quiet. I run two cbn wheels on it.

I was possibly the first to write about using CBN wheels for plane and bench chisel blades, and my set up is described here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp.html

The Axminster half-speed bench grinder is on the right (re-badged Carbatec in Oz). The other bench grinder, on the left, is also half-speed, from Rikon.

The tool rests have been removed from both. The CBN wheels use the Tormek BGM-100 tool rest, and this is superb. The Rikon is used for power buffing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back