shooting board- any ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceparkinson9

Reaction score
i would like to make a shooting board for my workshop but have no idea where to start
has anyone got any advise or experinces of making one

any help apreciated

Charles :lol:

ceparkinson9":1nvmdt0e said:
i would like to make a shooting board for my workshop but have no idea where to start
has anyone got any advise or experinces of making one

any help apreciated

Charles :lol:

If you talk to rob (woodbloke) nicely and maybe offer some beer vouchers he might make you one of his "shutes" which a lot of forum members have , and are reputed to be very good

I say reputed because i dont have ashooting board - i just screw random bits of offcut to my sacrificial bench top and use that when i need to

Hi Charles,

I would have a Google on the web where you will find several sites discussing and showing how to make one.

Robert Wearing's book, "The Resourceful Woodworker" also shows a couple of shooting boards 90 and 45 degree for use with planes and the same for use with a router. I made myself a 45 degree one for use with a router and found it very good.
Hope that helps

Graham

These are easy enough to make:

001small.jpg

...this is one just sent to another forum member. Plenty of sound info here ...the mitre attachments are a bit more tricky - Rob

Hey Rob

Thats a nice looking board, but what is the groove along the top board for? Is it for a replaceable strip of hard wood?

Charles, if you decide to make one yourself I got a 1/2 sheet of 12mm ply from b&q and got them to cut me 2 bits on their panel saw. The top slightly narrower than the base.

I then added an mdf fence and made sure it was absolutely square. Plenty of beeswax and shes a bute. However when I upgrade this one I'll add in some adjustability to the fench as Rob's one has and also a sacrificial strip on the top board.

Heres a shot of mine in action.

4389688568_ac6ec7d34c.jpg

mickthetree":26am2zo6 said:
Hey Rob

Thats a nice looking board, but what is the groove along the top board for? Is it for a replaceable strip of hard wood?
If your referring to the 'groove' alongside the black runway...it's not!..'tis a piece of 4mm ply that bears on the underside of the plane sole and is there to prevent damage to the upper surface of the shute if the plane tips in use. The fence is also overhanging by the same thickness as the ply - Rob

woodbloke":52xqbq0b said:

001small.jpg

...this is one just sent to another forum member. Plenty of sound info here ...the mitre attachments are a bit more tricky - Rob

Two questions:

1. What is the black material you used for the running surface?

2. Why the large gap between the platform where the workpiece rests and the edge that supports the plane? I don't believe I've ever seen a shooting board with a gap like that.

adrian":1nlctkyl said:
woodbloke":1nlctkyl said:

001small.jpg

Two questions:

1. What is the black material you used for the running surface?

2. Why the large gap between the platform where the workpiece rests and the edge that supports the plane? I don't believe I've ever seen a shooting board with a gap like that.
The black stuff is 6mm Acylic plastic (Perspex)...for the answer to No2 see my previous post :wink: - Rob

Back