Shed Flooring OSB/feather edge cladding expansion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Reaction score
Ello. Shed base I have made is 8 foot by 10 foot. My OSB for floor is cut into 5 pieces and is a good fit on my joists, which I've built. I've not screwed the OSB down yet. Will be doing a one foot tall dwarf stud wall on top of it that I've mentioned in other threads, which I'll clad with Tyvex and feather edge. I'll butt the ends of the feather edge against pressure treated 1x2.

The OSB, feather edge (and all the joist 2x4) have all been sat in my garden for weeks, covered up until a week ago. So it's been rained on a bit etc. (not shocking) and will have accumulated all the moisture associated with summer, though it's not actually wet to the touch.

I'm being advised by fella at work that I should put noggins in to support the board edges. The board edges are sitting nicely on the joists as they should (I cut them to fit), but in the other direction across the gap between the joists of course they aren't, just void. It's the prescribed 400mm from centre spacing between joists, with just the last joist being a bit closer with gaps of 300 or something either side. When i walk on the boards, there's no bounce or anything. Do I really need the noggins?

Also, he's advising I leave expansion gap between boards and at the end of the cladding where it'll butt up. Again, on a shed this size, is it neccessary? And if my wood has summer levels of humidity already applied, if I do leave a gap might it not just get bigger in winter and return to original gap in summer?

When I google I get mixed responses on this, hence thread. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back