sharpen or buy new, circ. saw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost per tooth to sharpen a TCT saw blade in the UK?
Here, it is cheaper to buy a new Makita blade for my chopsaw than get it sharpened, 50C a tooth.

Guessing a bit because I put in a few blades at a time along with friends, but maybe £15 max for a 60T blade. Shipping would be extra if you don't have a local place.
A good blade, well sharpened is better than a string of cheap new ones.

I've found over the years each saw seems to have blades it likes and dislikes. I'm yet to find one that really sings on my current saw so on my 3rd blade now, if /when i find 'the one' then I'll look into sharpening from then onward. I'm also a hobby user and a new blade per year is about my norm, so new or sharpen the cost difference isn't that material.

Used to be a guy in a van who would collect my blades on a Thursday and return them the following Thursday.
Cost £10-12 per blade.

Alas when I phoned last month, that service is no longer available, but I can post if I want.

With the cost of postage each way I just went for an amazon budget one.

I have 2 Makita 100 tooth blades to sharpen, I bought the second because the blade cost between £30 and £40 from Amazon. It would cost me 100 euro to get them sharpened and I'd have to do around 120km return to take them.

It may be environmentally sound, possibly even financially worthwhile to get a saw blade sharpened. but for the average small diameter DiY use blade it would be a new one every time - no exceptions.

The financial saving can only be trivial given the size of the blade, the environmental benefit over recycling the blunt limited. It is something that happens once or twice a year (if that)

If you run a sawmill with a blade 3ft or more across the issues would be very different.

Back