Selling something....Valuation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to sell something on the For Sale thread, but it is quite a rare item and I genuinely dont know what would be a reasonable price to ask for it.

I have tried searching the internet and the usual auction/ for sale sites, but with no luck as there doesn't appear to be the same item for sale anywhere...!

I know the "For Sale" rules on here stipulate I must name a price along with pictures, but I'm at a loss to know how much to ask......🤔🤔

Is there any way I can search the archives of previous sales on a well known auction site, to see what this particular item sold for in the past...?

Similar to above if I look at ebay on my PC to the right of the search button it says advanced, click on this and you can search past listings and sold items.

Sometimes worth trying your favourite search engine as there are some sites that scrape all the auction/used tool sites which may prove useful

Edit to add: picclick is one such site

Do you have a picture of it on your device?
A Google picture search should provide some reference.
Do you have the specific details of how it's generally identified?
Cheers, a very intrigued Andy

Ask ChatGPT. It will search the Web for you to see what it has been sold for previously if you ask it.

Or......... I'll give you a tenner for it?

Pussyfooting around it won't help.
OK, this isn't a for sale thread and I won't let it become one.
If you want to tell us what the thing is, and / or even include a photo or two, then if anyone here can point you to some historical price info, that's OK. This time out.

Members can tell you by PM if they don't want to share in public for example what they may have bought or sold a similar item for in the past.

Any posts that speculate at random without some solid facts to support them, I'll delete.

This sounds like an unusual / uncommon predicament. It may be interesting. If you want to see how it goes, then OK.
Anyone else asking for the same thing next week gets a no.
If the other mods disagree with me, then we may still bring this to a close.

Cheers, Sideways.

On ebay, type in what you're selling and hit search.
Whatever comes up, -even if it is nothing- go to the left hand filters and near the bottom theres a sold and competed listings. It is labeled 'show only'. That will bring up those and you can judge from there.

It’s a Startrite saw shaw guard, he won’t find info on pricing on eBay as they now only allow you see a few months. They don’t often come up for sale, and are super useful both on a Startrite but also on any saw. Ideal for using to make a tunnel for instance if your trenching. They are deceptively simple, really well made and great for holding stuff against the fence when ripping. When they do come up for sale, they are expensive.

Ah. OK.
I saw a vintage shaw guard - unsure of the brand - sell for about £100 on ebay within the last couple of years.

Sedgwick planers have a shaw guard available. As new spare part those no doubt cost £200+. They could be adapted to other machines.
Conceptually, these aren't very complex and a hobby shop with a metal lathe and a mill could make one easily enough but there are a good few hours in it and how do you value your time.

Last edited:
Pussyfooting around it won't help.
OK, this isn't a for sale thread and I won't let it become one.
If you want to tell us what the thing is, and / or even include a photo or two, then if anyone here can point you to some historical price info, that's OK. This time out.

Members can tell you by PM if they don't want to share in public for example what they may have bought or sold a similar item for in the past.

Any posts that speculate at random without some solid facts to support them, I'll delete.

This sounds like an unusual / uncommon predicament. It may be interesting. If you want to see how it goes, then OK.
Anyone else asking for the same thing next week gets a no.
If the other mods disagree with me, then we may still bring this to a close.

Cheers, Sideways.

Thanks for the kind offer @Sideways, but I've now put the advert up on the For Sale thread.
I'll just have to see if I get any interest on here and hope I've put it up at a reasonable price.

Tim.

Latest posts

Back