Sedgwick or Wadkin planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonridout

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am on the lookout for a 12” used P/T, quite happy to clean up and refurbish an old machine, as long as it is basically sound. Is there an advantage in a Sedgwick MB over a Wadkin BAOS or vice versa?

The blue and white Sedgwick have longer infeed and outfeed tables, the machines are fully supported and you can get spares although they will be expensive. Some of the later green models also had longer tables, which is an advantage. Again the machines have soares available. Maintenance and stripping them down is relatively easy.

The Wadkin machines have an adjustable outfeed table which makes setting standard knives far easier. They have shorter infeed and outfeed tables (you want them as long as you can get for straightening, but it can be an advantage if you’re struggling for space. There are virtually no spares available off the shelf, and one of the motors had a custom made shaft which makes replacing it if necessary very expensive. You can buy custom shafted motors. It’s been a long t9 e since I was inside a Wadkin BAOS but I have a feeling one of the motors is a none standard frame size, ie specially made and impossible to find a modern replacement for which means having it rewound, and there are very places to ge5 that done on a small motor.

I know it’s not what you were asking about but I can recommend an SCM Minimax 12” often come with a Tersa block which makes for easy blade changing and a really good finish.
Ian

Back