Sedgwick Morticer clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janner89

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just inherited a Sedgwick 571 Morticer - not used one before but am finding the angled clamp mechanism is not holding the workpiece square to the fence/bed. Am I missing something obvious here....perhaps an angled block piece to bring back the clamp to 90?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    1.5 MB
There should be enough play on the head of the clamp to allow it to clamp the wood squarely. I would make sure by undoing the assembly and greasing the joint.

Also it helps to raise the wood up so the clamp plate is operating over its whole surface on the piece you are working on - not just the bit at the bottom. I have a convenient section of oak flooring that I keep to line the bottom of the bed. It also protects my chisels if I am mortising all the way through

There should be enough play on the head of the clamp to allow it to clamp the wood squarely. I would make sure by undoing the assembly and greasing the joint.

Also it helps to raise the wood up so the clamp plate is operating over its whole surface on the piece you are working on - not just the bit at the bottom. I have a convenient section of oak flooring that I keep to line the bottom of the bed. It also protects my chisels if I am mortising all the way through
cheers nail, will try that...upon disassembling the thing the connecting rod seems to be bent at the end entering the clamp face. I assume this is designed like this?

On my model the rod is , in fact, straight, and the hole it goes into is angled. Yours could well be bent because the hole is drilled square and not at an angle.

Back