Screws for battening through multi-foil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, converted our attic several years back and although I did use several rolls of multifoil (which, btw, has worked very well) I had a nightmare of a time trying to batten over it......problem is I now can't remember how I eventually did it and, years later, I now need to do the same within our garage.

I've been looking online for any info on the best screws to use (if you've ever done this yourself you'll understand the issues) and there appears to be very little choice so does anyone have any suggestions for any screws that they've used successfully?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

👍

Is this multifoil the stuff that looks like a roll of foil covered bubblewrap ? If so what is the problem with fixing battens over it ?

anyone have any suggestions for any screws that they've used successfully?
No is my answer, the last one I did, but it was some quite some time ago, used a first fix nail gun with 90mm ring shank nails, not screwed, for the reason you already know.

Hi all, converted our attic several years back and although I did use several rolls of multifoil (which, btw, has worked very well) I had a nightmare of a time trying to batten over it......problem is I now can't remember how I eventually did it and, years later, I now need to do the same within our garage.

I've been looking online for any info on the best screws to use (if you've ever done this yourself you'll understand the issues) and there appears to be very little choice so does anyone have any suggestions for any screws that they've used successfully?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

👍
I’ve used multifoil in the past and found it a right pain with the screws binding in the insulation layers and snapping.
You can now get specific screws for just the job you are describing. I haven’t tried them myself, so can’t comment on how good they are.

https://www.roofgiant.com/insulatio...8i_UHDp5boETdjlozf2DjM2vm0E6J1K8aAlPlEALw_wcB

Useful to know as I intend to do this in the future in my attic. Ring shank nails sound like the answer to me.

with 90mm ring shank nails
Ah......I hadn't considered ring-shanks.....I've only got 25mm to fix to (that's the batten already screwed into the brickwork) and so had ignored the idea of using a 'short' nail.

I have got some 'sharp' screws from screwfix and will try these when the time comes but not holding out much hope as I, surely, would have tried these years back (honestly can't remember)

I suppose it's just me just being 'tight' in that I've seen the fastfix screws advertised but when you add the p&p it virtually doubles the price.

I was hoping screwfix/toolstastion would stock some that included multifoil use in a description.

Just for info (and as some already know) you can't drill or use a 'normal' screw as the 19 or so layers (several of which are woven fibre) immediately catch the fibre and instantly wrap themselves around the drill/screw thread creating a completely solid knot....one which is so strong that it could either snap the screw or be almost impossible to remove a drill bit from.

I was hoping someone on here would have their own secret tip 😥

Thanks anyway.

Ah......I hadn't considered ring-shanks.....I've only got 25mm to fix to (that's the batten already screwed into the brickwork) and so had ignored the idea of using a 'short' nail.
My instinct would be to use the longest nail you can get away with and if you are not confident that it will hold use more of them

I used this multifoils insulation a few years ago, a real pain as it is thin layers of what resembles polyester wadding used by upholsterers. The problem is that a drill picks these layers up and it neatly wraps around the drill bit and likewise the screws. Staples and nails!

You could use a punch to form a hole in the multifoil first!

That is food for thought......I could pre-set, align, mark and predrill the holes then mark through the same onto the multifoil.

Quite time consuming but just for the hell of it, as I know how much of a pain this stuff is, I may try that.

👍

Thought I'd just update this thread by showing the screws that I've ended up using.....I've been using screwfix gold screws for years but only now 'found' these having never needed them/known about them previously.

They have a sharp-to-touch thread that, I believe, are designed to improve their ability to 'cut' their way through timber in use.

Anyway, they are working a treat.....you still need to really push the batten as hard as possible onto the multifoil (in order to compress that as much as possible) and do the same with your screwing hand (I'm using an impact driver), I've only had one fail so far (in around 50 or so) simply due to not being able to get completely underneath it in order to get full compression (on an overhead ceiling).

IMG_2189.png

Latest posts

Back