Screw removal from gate help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all , I have removed my gate for cleaning and treatment and had a couple of screws snap below the surface , pictures attached. What is the best fix for this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I would Trepan as mentioned above. I find trying to drill something hard in something soft the drill always skids off. If you could clamp the wood on a drill press then you would probably be OK drilling it.

Make a "core drill" from steel tube with an inside diameter larger than snapped screw, file saw tooth profile around end, battery drill,slow speed to the full depth of screw, lever out to remainder. It is also possible to buy ready made drill but have often used this method in furniture restoration for decades!

It is also possible to buy ready made drill...

Please could you suggest a source for this item. Let us say 5mm internal diameter if there are options. It would be useful to have one in the toolbox.

If you have a drill press use a large plug cutter to clear the wood around the screw then twist out with a visegrips. Rockler in the US sell a hollow tube with a serrated end just for this - it's been a few years since I bought one so they may be available over here.

Problem you have is that most of the scews today are hardened and brittle.
In my honest opinion, I would mark our where the screw is positioned on the underside of the timber. Then dirill through with a larger drill until you contact the screw.
Then reverse the timber and use a steel punch and hammer to knock the screw out through the hole you drilled.
Next take some dowel. Drill a tight fit hole through and glue and plug.
Let it dry and sand off.

I agree with gcusick, that the best way. I have mostly made my own but I do have one that I bought but I can't remeber where! I usually use a battery drill but start the drill by hand turning the chuck to get a small depression and then it will drill just fine. By all means use a guide but I never have.

when I ws repairing antiques, I purchased every "broken screw removal " tool I could find. They were all inadequate in one aspect or another.

The panacea I found was a split roll pin, which are available in many sizes inexpensively.

A quik dremel cut off wheel turned the edge of the "split" square, to resemble the edges of a plug cutter.

You choose one slightly less that the diameter of the screw threads, chuck it in a drill and run it backwards

What happens, as you cut down, the heat of the friction, and the friction eventually causes the e broken bit to just pop up.

I know I've posted video on this before, but long ago and cannot find the link....tie to do it again.

Latest posts

Back