Safe woodstain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akto

Reaction score
I have built a hardwood rocking cradle, is there a safe wood stain to use given its proposed use, or will any do? It will be clear stain

Ta,

I have built a hardwood rocking cradle, is there a safe wood stain to use given its proposed use, or will any do? It will be clear stain

Ta,
I had a similar question for a crib I’m building and I’ve been trying to read up on finishes for this purpose.

One take from a book I was reading suggests that all finishes are food/toy/baby safe once cured. Which opens a lot of doors for you.

If you’re playing it really safe from my reading shellac (derived from beetles) would be perfectly safe as they use it in cosmetics and the food industry. The alcohol evaporates quickly and cure time is very short. Food safe wax can be added over the top.

That’s what I’m planning to use, the shellac comes in different colours (shades of amber / brown) dependent on what beetles they grind up to make it. It gives an extra element of colour to the wood and film of protection. You can get transparent also.

There’s the French polish application method (I’ve never done it before, not sure if I will apply to the crib for my first go) or looks like if you thin it down you can apply with a brush.

Alternatively mineral oil is a popular suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5326.jpeg
    IMG_5326.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I had a similar question for a crib I’m building and I’ve been trying to read up on finishes for this purpose.

One take from a book I was reading suggests that all finishes are food/toy/baby safe once cured. Which opens a lot of doors for you.

If you’re playing it really safe from my reading shellac (derived from beetles) would be perfectly safe as they use it in cosmetics and the food industry. The alcohol evaporates quickly and cure time is very short. Food safe wax can be added over the top.

That’s what I’m planning to use, the shellac comes in different colours (shades of amber / brown) dependent on what beetles they grind up to make it. It gives an extra element of colour to the wood and film of protection. You can get transparent also.

There’s the French polish application method (I’ve never done it before, not sure if I will apply to the crib for my first go) or looks like if you thin it down you can apply with a brush.

I read that about curedfinishes too, will probably try some danish oil i have lying around - french polish seems to much like hard work.

As most modern baby cribs and prams are now made from plastics and composite materials I cant see most wood finishes being any worse. Stick to the more natural ones. They should all have safety data info on the labels as a guide.
Regards
John

Hard wax oil probably isn't a bad shout, it's hard as nails.

The Fiddes branded stuff is also certified to EN71 (for finishing children's toys)
https://fiddes.co.uk/product/hard-wax-oil/

Only thing I would say is give it a couple of weeks in a well ventilated area to cure/dispel the vapours...

If you want to colour the wood, then a water based wood stain underneath would work.

I’m sure it won’t be a problem but American standards are different ( that magazine article appears to be from there) quite a few food colourings used there wouldn’t pass European standards for instance.
Shellac is safe, not a lot of people realise that brown sauce is (or was) made from Cochineal beetles, and Carmine dye comes from them as well.
Ian

Ta,
Do you really want to stain it - if so the question is why ? The occupant won't notice !! For furniture like this with multiple components it's better to give ti a good hardwearing finish. I would spray it to make life easier. The Chestnut range of lacquers are excellent. Heat them in a can of hot water first and use one of those spray handles for cans - it will be too hot to hold anyway. Allow a few days to completely harden off.

Back