router v jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themexican

Reaction score
Hi I'm planning on cutting out 2 undermount sink holes ( 1 round, 1 square) in hardwood. Would I be better off using a router or a jigsaw for the job?

Thanks,

Greg

I find it easier to remove the bulk with plunge cuts from a circular saw, then use the router with bearing guided bit and pattern to tidy up. With thick hardwood worktops (>40mm), I often find that a jigsaw blade tends to warp, no matter how slowly you go which leaves a horrid angled cut.

chris_d":2sxtxy1q said:
I often find that a jigsaw blade tends to warp, no matter how slowly you go which leaves a horrid angled cut.
If you try one of the jigsaws which have a low-level blade clamp such as the Bosch GST135BCE or one of the Festools and remember to use a decent quality new blade you will find that tendency is much reduced. I've done this sort of cut with my Bosch jigger a few times without problems, although I agree with you that a portable saw will cut more accurately on the straight sections leaving the waste removal to be finished with a hand saw or jigger

Latest posts

Back