Roof Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenners

Reaction score
I have been drooling over all the workshop builds on the forum.

We are in the process of moving, one of the first jobs at the new house is to build a proper workshop (although I don't think it is top of the wife's list at the mo :lol: ). I will be constructing the workshop broadly inline Mike G construction drawings in the following tread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/buil ... 39389.html

I am at the planning stages currently and am creating a sketchup model to help my understanding prior to getting the saw out!

I have a few questions that I am hoping people can help with:

1) I was hoping to use 2.4m lengths of 2x4 CLS for the studwork to keep the cost down. As the workshop will be c5m long, I was planning to construct the side walls in two sections. This would mean the wall plates will not be continuous, is this a problem? Would I need to put a single piece of 2x4 across the top of the wall sections to act as a wall plate?

2) I want to roof the building with battens and composite slate tile (to match the house). I am hoping that this will be comparable in weight to an OSB and felt roof, but I want to ensure I spec the rafters and roof joists correctly. It seems that timber construction tables are no longer published as a part of the building regs, but sold separately by Trada! Does anyone have a copy or know somewhere on the web that the data is still free? Or alternately can someone tell me what size rafters and joists I will need for the following:

Span 3.5m
Pitch between 40 and 45 degrees
600mm centres
I want to put the joists above the wall plate to give more headroom (as per Mike's drawings)

3) The workshop will be within 2 m of the boundary and above 2.5m tall, so I will need PP. It will be at the end of a 100' garden, with only fields behind, so I am hopeful of getting PP. Has anyone else on the forum applied for PP for a workshop, and if so how did it go? Any tips?

I would appreciate help that anyone can offer.

Fenners, I think you will be ok making it in two sections. I did and its still standing. Just make sure you bolt the two sections together as I think its better than screws. There are some pics in my shed build.

Hello Fenners

The workshop will be within 2 m of the boundary and above 2.5m tall, so I will need PP. It will be at the end of a 100' garden, with only fields behind, so I am hopeful of getting PP.

Can you move it further away from the boundaries, avoid the PP (and possibly BR) costs and spend the money you would save on tools?

Once you decide on the timber sizes

http://www.blocklayer.com/

will help with the roof structure.

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back