Recommend me the best countersink for wood / ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there is a clear concensus in this thread. Snails / zero flute seem to be the way to go.

I mentioned that I have a number of 3 flute HSS countersinks that work fine in metal - the presto set in a blue tub, a single of the same from Ruko which is slightly better machined, and the cheap hss roses that I swear at for wood.

Based on all your recommendations I've ordered a snail type, made by Fisch from Axminster (and a load of other stuff I wasn't intending to when I woke this morning, but that's another story).

107409_xl.jpg

https://www.axminstertools.com/fisc...utm_content=2266&tagrid=64966936&glCountry=GB

The Fisch csk is available with a 1/4" hex shank just like the Festool but less than half the price and I don't need centrotec. That's what I'll try first. It should suit my little bosch hex driver and I'll keep it for wood only.

Fisch with plain shanks are on backorder but are made in smaller and larger sizes, both would be nice to have. For jigs and such like I use csk head stainless machine screws quite a lot. I use these from M4 upto M8-10 so the range of sizes would be useful.

Thanks everyone !

The true snail countersink bit, that I remember using in a brace, at school, all those years ago, is a cone with a single groove cut in its side. Which is a lot more snail-like in its appearance The ones with a single hole through the cone seem to be a cross over from metalworking.
Though, having said that - I do have some old, " Russel Jennings," type bits that have a single hole cutter as well as a lead screw at their tip.

Well, there is a clear concensus in this thread. Snails / zero flute seem to be the way to go.

I mentioned that I have a number of 3 flute HSS countersinks that work fine in metal - the presto set in a blue tub, a single of the same from Ruko which is slightly better machined, and the cheap hss roses that I swear at for wood.

Based on all your recommendations I've ordered a snail type, made by Fisch from Axminster (and a load of other stuff I wasn't intending to when I woke this morning, but that's another story).

View attachment 182800

https://www.axminstertools.com/fisc...utm_content=2266&tagrid=64966936&glCountry=GB

The Fisch csk is available with a 1/4" hex shank just like the Festool but less than half the price and I don't need centrotec. That's what I'll try first. It should suit my little bosch hex driver and I'll keep it for wood only.

Fisch with plain shanks are on backorder but are made in smaller and larger sizes, both would be nice to have. For jigs and such like I use csk head stainless machine screws quite a lot. I use these from M4 upto M8-10 so the range of sizes would be useful.

Thanks everyone !
And thanks from me too! It’s made me realise that all of my three countersinks are pretty dire and I’ve usually relied on the screw to hide the results. I’ll be putting in an order too this evening.
Stuart

fisch is the one I use made in austria, it has stayed very sharp for many many years and I've used it a lot!

View attachment 182800

Thanks everyone !
I've not used that Fisch CSK one, both of mine are the Fisch ones with the plain shanks. If you report that it turns out to be any good I might order one of those CSK ones as it would be handy to have one with a hex shank sometimes.

It should suit my little bosch hex driver and I'll keep it for wood only.
The snail bit you've ordered is also very good in soft metal, e.g., aluminium, which is worth keeping in mind. I've no idea how many countersinks I've put into aluminium trim with my snail bits. Just got to watch out for the sharp edge of the metal that spirals out, but I've always got my prescription safety specs on anyway when doing such tasks. Slainte.

The snail bit you've ordered is also very good in soft metal, e.g., aluminium, which is worth keeping in mind. I've no idea how many countersinks I've put into aluminium trim with my snail bits. Just got to watch out for the sharp edge of the metal that spirals out, but I've always got my prescription safety specs on anyway when doing such tasks. Slainte.
Cheers Richard, I think the smaller size as in your first post would be particularly useful for alloy. For me at least, the small machine screws with a csk are more often used that way than set directly into wood, and there are always brass hinges installed as Phil recommends.

I can't remember where I saw someone's advice to run a countersink counterclockwise to clean up the hole but I have found this to be quite effective in removing ridges and I suspect it provides a better seat for the screwhead too by 'packing' the grain.

I got some Fisch brad points that seem OK. There certainly more centred than all my cheap ones. But I'm not convinced there Austrian. Everything about them shouts good quality chinese. Maybe if it mentioned country of origin anywhere. Not dissatisfied yet just disappointed in dodgy advertising.

View attachment 182800

Thanks everyone !
I have this one in both sizes, they are very good.

The Fisch landed today. Not tried yet. Looks good for the price and I'm happy with it.
It's not quite machined to the quality of a good metalworking version but those tend to be larger and cost much more.
The hex shank version is good upto 13mm. This will be useful for a lot of woodscrews, certainly upto #6, but is much too small to seat the csk head M8 machine screws I'm using on a current project.

The streaks in the photo are oil from manufacture / protection. It's nicely ground. The rear non working end of the hole has a burr left inside but that should be easy to remove.

20240614_234808.jpg

20240614_235758.jpg

Attachments

• 20240614_234706.jpg
    20240614_234706.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 20240614_234903.jpg
    20240614_234903.jpg
    3.1 MB

Latest posts

Back