Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people get sad at times like this because it just highlights mortality, we have a finite lifespan and as humans we are dying from the day we are born, it is just not a linear process. What should be taken from events like this is to make the most of our time and not waste it, don't waste time chasing money once you have enough and more importantly is to respect that everyone has the right to life.

I live here like many others, by right of birth and remain by choice, A lot of people live here and more would like to live her because "we" have the right to express an opinion.
As someone said, "I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to express it.
And somebody else once said, 'Everyone's entitled to their own stupid opinion.'

Isn't this so quintessentially British !

Attachments

• for_later.jpg
    for_later.jpg
    86.3 KB
As one of many people that took the Queen's shilling, and the oath to serve her ,her government and her heirs for as long as I was in the army.
Yesterday,as the news broke over her death, tears came and loads of memories of my time serving in the army both good and bad, she served her country, the commonwealth and the world in ways that no one else could. So rest easy your Maj, you've done your service and now go join Phil the Greek upstairs.

RIP Queen Elizabeth of Happy memories.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-212103.jpg
    Screenshot_20220908-212103.jpg
    498.6 KB
the monarchy has nothing to do with it, she was a public servent her whole life, show some respect.
What do you mean the monarchy has nothing to do with it? She was the monarch. Also, a monarch who was very unhappy about paying tax. Not much public service in that attitude, perhaps?

I notice that William now becomes a billionaire on receipt of his father's Cornish holdings (Duchy of Cornwall estate worth £1bn passes to Prince William). And no tax paid on that transfer either.

Can I get some of that public service?

The monarchy must be the most successful theatrical company there has ever been, they have no authority or power but the ability to make a lot of money from various titles. It would be much better if a monarch had some power, make anyone serving in any public office accountable to the monarch rather than the monarch just being a puppet to comply with tradition, If they are the head of state then make them more than expensive figureheads. At least people are thinking that Charles will shake up the house hold and streamline it.

If you want to believe the monarchy are a self-interested out of touch family seeking to benefit from their privileged position and legal status there may be little that can be said to dissuade you.

It is worth noting Prince Charles (now king) voluntarily pays tax on the money taken from the Duchy.

More objectively - irrespective of whether the monarchy is politically or socially desirable, if arguments are reduced to a simple financial and tax issue, there are other considerations:
  • the extent to which the Monarchy funds the preservation of national assets which would otherwise not be commercially justifiable, and may anyway require public funding
  • the positive impact on the economy of tourism and supporting the UK reputation benefitting international influence and business development
Paying inheritance tax on Williams enhanced estate - could the properties be sold off, if so to who, would they be maintained in future for the benefit of the public, does William who anyway will lead a privileged life benefit from the his "ownership".

I am not convinced there is any merit, save the superficial perceptions. A common view often used by the aristocracy to justify their wealth - we are merely holding it in trust for future generations. I suspect this is a reasonable proposition in this case.

Whilst I am personally somewhat neutral about the monarchy as an institution, I would support the status quo.

If you want to believe the monarchy are a self-interested out of touch family seeking to benefit from their privileged position and legal status there may be little that can be said to dissuade you.

It is worth noting Prince Charles (now king) voluntarily pays tax on the money taken from the Duchy.

More objectively - irrespective of whether the monarchy is politically or socially desirable, if arguments are reduced to a simple financial and tax issue, there are other considerations:
  • the extent to which the Monarchy funds the preservation of national assets which would otherwise not be commercially justifiable, and may anyway require public funding
  • the positive impact on the economy of tourism and supporting the UK reputation benefitting international influence and business development
Paying inheritance tax on Williams enhanced estate - could the properties be sold off, if so to who, would they be maintained in future for the benefit of the public, does William who anyway will lead a privileged life benefit from the his "ownership".

I am not convinced there is any merit, save the superficial perceptions. A common view often used by the aristocracy to justify their wealth - we are merely holding it in trust for future generations. I suspect this is a reasonable proposition in this case.

Whilst I am personally somewhat neutral about the monarchy as an institution, I would support the status quo.

It's a feeling that I have always had about them:

While it could be argued that they do very nicely from their position, how many of us, including me, could do the job as well or would even want it? I certainly couldn't and wouldn't. That same argument, I also apply, to CEO's of large corporations.

What the monarchy bring in financial terms to the country far out weighs what it costs the country to "maintain" them. So, it's a massive financial gain for the country while a few people get to rock around in Bentleys and Audis.

And, nobody gives a monkeys (or very few do) about how The National Trust and English Heritage keeping our old buildings going in return for an admission or a subscription fee. Yes, the employees don't live inside the musty and decaying structures and the royals do, but all of these organisations are custodians of these structures for future generations, residents or not .... I feel the same about our house most of the time too!

Along with so many other people (but clearly not everyone) I found myself more affected by her death than I expected.

It's the end of an era that has seen huge change and progress, but she has remained constant.
15 Prime Ministers, 14 U.S. Presidents, countless other leaders have come and gone. One of the world's top diplomats.

She has devoted her whole life to public service. She worked until her death at 96 years old!

A bird in a gilded cage, she missed out on a normal life. None of the hedonistic behaviour of her sister and her middle son. Not able to really mix with people in the outside world. Total dedication as she promised from the age of 21.

How many other world leaders or public servants have lived up to their promises for so many decades?

Along with so many other people (but clearly not everyone) I found myself more affected by her death than I expected.

It's the end of an era that has seen huge change and progress, but she has remained constant.
15 Prime Ministers, 14 U.S. Presidents, countless other leaders have come and gone. One of the world's top diplomats.

She has devoted her whole life to public service. She worked until her death at 96 years old!

A bird in a gilded cage, she missed out on a normal life. None of the hedonistic behaviour of her sister and her middle son. Not able to really mix with people in the outside world. Total dedication as she promised from the age of 21.

How many other world leaders or public servants have lived up to their promises for so many decades?

Ha. She had her dogs and horses and lived a very good life it seems to me. Not much interest in culture, it also appears.

She saw the UK unravel with huge disparities in wealth. Forced (or as near as counts) to pay tax while we were on our way to zero contracts and food banks.

The cortege passed my flat this afternoon. At huge cost, I would imagine. Who pays?

As one minister once said today would be a good day to release bad financial news

Well, not financial bad news in the "normal" scheme of things, but we are literally 21 years on from the twin towers horror.
Hard to believe that two decades have passed.

Ha. She had her dogs and horses and lived a very good life it seems to me.
Really?
Let me tell you about mine.
Left school, became an apprenticed wooden boatbuilder. After a couple of years decided sailing was more fun so went to sea. Eventually became the man in charge and hated being master - the chief mate runs the ship, great fun, the captain is just a bridge ornament, no fun in that so came ashore and worked for a shipping company in a job with a fancy title but which my wife changed to Unstuffer - I travelled the world to ports where my company's ships were stuffed up and I unstuffed them. Got a lot of enjoyment in that work. Tired of the job at 60 and retired, tired of retirement at 61 and retrained as an Ambo, loved being able to use my new skills to help others, gave that up at 74 and now I waste my time building little wooden aeroplanes because I like to.
From this you can conclude that I have greatly enjoyed my life, mainly I expect because I had the freedom to do as I pleased as does most everybody else.
Compare this to the late Queen.
Her entire life laid out at birth, contingency plans in place in case of unforseen events, surrounded by minders, advisors, approved friends, not to mention the constant attention from the press, not even being able to plonk a hat on her head without some journo writing an opinion piece about it...there is no amount of dogs or horses or money that is going to compensate for this lack of freedom and personal choice and people who think there is are dreaming. I couldn't do or stand the job for one day let alone decades and neither could most no matter what the perks are.
I think the monarchy is a looney organisation but I admire the late incumbent for the job of work she did with it and is not deserving of the ill will directed at her for doing the best she could with the rather awful employment she was given to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back