Quality screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul - that little ratchet screwdriver looks like an excellent piece - i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

Cheers

Karl

Paul Chapman":2d105myl said:
promhandicam":2d105myl said:
The length of the shaft will have no effect on the torque as torque is a measurement determined by the length of a lever, the force applied to the lever and the angle to which the force is applied. This is why spanners become progressively longer as the nut size increases.

While I find it hard to accept that the length of a screwdriver has no effect on the torque, I must admit that one of the most effective screwdrivers I have in terms of torque is this little Stanley Yankee right-angle ratchet screwdriver

Yankee-1.jpg

Yankee-2.jpg

They are so handy little ones like that
It operates much like a spanner would in that the handle is at right-angles to the screw.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS It's becoming clear that I am a collector of screwdrivers :oops: :lol:

Thats a nice screwdriver Paul where did you get that. I have seen cheap flimsy versions of it but I see thats a proper Stanley Yankee one.

chippy1970":2jz3f67i said:
Thats a nice screwdriver Paul where did you get that.

Not sure how easy it would be to buy one these days. I bought that one some time back in the 1970s. At that time there were plenty of really good Stanley tools about - particularly the USA-made ones. However, most of those tools have long since been discontinued, at least in the UK :(

Paul

If you can't find the Yankee ratchet, cooper make a similar tool.
The Xcelite XL75 is what I use.It comes with its own !/4" hex bits with tabs on them but any standard bitholder will fit.
Matt

To get back to the post title if I may, I wouldn't buy stanley or britool at all now. Made of monkey metal from china. :(
If you want a set to last you a lifetime try Snap-on. Not cheap, but then nothting of quality ever is.

Lee J":1972z9hm said:
I've a full set of BluePoint and these...

53388.JPG

I have some similar to the ones in the photo but made by Witte which I bought when I was an apprentice over 25 years ago - they are still going strong despite much abuse. The advantage of this design is that they have a hexagonal section on the shaft just below the handle which allows a spanner to be used to help shift stubborn screws - much like Pauls little ratchet but with the advantage of a handle that you can push down on to prevent cam out.

Steve

promhandicam":3adqt6yt said:
The advantage of this design is that they have a hexagonal section on the shaft just below the handle which allows a spanner to be used to help shift stubborn screws - much like Pauls little ratchet but with the advantage of a handle that you can push down on to prevent cam out.

A technique I sometimes use for stubborn screws, when using the large Yankees, is to push down with the palm of my hand on the end of the driver and grip the handle with my other hand so that my arm is at right-angles to the driver, which I think has much the same effect as you are describing Steve. Using it that way probably does increase the torque :wink:

Paul

I have a couple of sets of Facom screwdrivers, mainly because my local independant toolshop in Derby sells them, and they have always been good. More aimed at automotive uses I think, but that doesn't seem to make them any less of a screwdriver for woodworking.

Cheers, Ed

I use a Stanley brace and bit (I have a 1" bit)

If that doesnt shift a stubborn screw the head goes first.

The Stanley cost me nearly a weeks wages in 1956.

Sorry I'm late to this post, but I have the "mother" of all screwdrivers :lol: . I bought this in about '72 from an "Ideal home Exhibition" and haven't seen it for sale since the seventies. Its 7" long and has four bits, and enough torque to unscrew the most stubborn screw. It usually snaps the head off if its too tight.

yzo1ua.jpg

Latest posts

Back